Knewton - Great vision, people are doing the right stuff to make the company grow to the next Netflix of education. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Knewton

"Great vision, people are doing the right stuff to make the company grow to the next Netflix of education."

Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in New York, NY
Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Knewton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Smart and motivated people. People don't just do their job, they own stuff. Makes life easier and unties my hands.
- Tech is cutting edge. Everyone contributes from large designs to code improvements to tools. No fear of trying something completely new if something is broken.
- "Knerdy" culture. Lot's of learning and teaching happening in the office: people take online classes together, teach seminars from machine learning to java best practices to cooking classes.

Cons

- For someone with a family Knewton is a bit intense. This is understandable as the company is hitting an exponential growth curve and there is a lot of stuff happening on all fronts. Be prepared to react during the late night once a month on average.
- Working remote is a challenge. Even though it's encouraged in theory, in practice Knewton is not there yet to fully support this given the speed that things move.
- For the amount of work one is performing compared to other companies that are entering their 6th year, the compensation could be better.

Advice to Management

Management is solid and available to anyone. They have the right balance of vision and practicality. Keep it going.

Other Employee Reviews for Knewton

1. "Change the world with some of the smartest people in the industry"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Knewton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Brilliant people
    * Work on one of the most important problems in the world: improving education
    * Encouraged to change anything you don't like through an RFC process
    * Work hard culture without destroying your life
    * Quarterly hack day!
    * Weekly open discussions with upper management, usually with CEO
    * Great open work space
    * Free dinner & metro cards (basic tech startup stuff)

Cons

Communication across the company could be better, although it is improving, and goes with the territory with a rapidly growing company. It's also not always clear what is necessary in order to advance at the company.

Advice to Management

Continue to grow aggressively.

2. "A great place to work, in a domain with lots of potential."

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Knewton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Knewton emphasizes hiring talented and motivated people and succeeds at it. Communal space is exceptional and I really like going to work. They are very flexible with my work from home hours. I have great gear and any extras that i need to be comfortable while I work. People here are well balanced and interested in the world. Staff are not only contributing to their jobs, but also to the open source community and to the world at large. There are numerous examples of staff enrichment guilds, and volunteer work, and many scientific papers to be found. Hack days are quite exceptional events. We have whole product lines that exist because of them.

Cons

We are growing fast and we will be a little cramped until we secure our new space.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. Get that new space ASAP.