Knewton - Knewton is a great place to work. My peers are passionate and supportive and I am challenged every day. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Knewton

"Knewton is a great place to work. My peers are passionate and supportive and I am challenged every day."

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in New York, NY
Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Knewton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture is extremely supportive and the business goals create challenges that will help you grow in your career. But not only is Knewton a great place for you! It is also improving education for students around the globe. The people who work at Knewton are passionate about this mission.

Cons

Growth is probably Knewton's biggest challenge. As Knewton grows it is constantly looking to improve practices and procedures. These changes can be painful at times. There are also members of the organization that have been around for a long time that are resistant to the changes.

Other Employee Reviews for Knewton

1. "Solid culture, team, and opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Knewton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

nice office space / top engineers / transparency and strong leadership from senior mgmt / an unparelleled opportunity as a leader in big data & edtech industries / many employees still here from company's early stage (a great sign)

Cons

we're outgrowing the office space / no company 401K / need more focus on metrics

Advice to Management

doing a great job

"Great vision, people are doing the right stuff to make the company grow to the next Netflix of education."

Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Knewton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Smart and motivated people. People don't just do their job, they own stuff. Makes life easier and unties my hands.
    - Tech is cutting edge. Everyone contributes from large designs to code improvements to tools. No fear of trying something completely new if something is broken.
    - "Knerdy" culture. Lot's of learning and teaching happening in the office: people take online classes together, teach seminars from machine learning to java best practices to cooking classes.

Cons

- For someone with a family Knewton is a bit intense. This is understandable as the company is hitting an exponential growth curve and there is a lot of stuff happening on all fronts. Be prepared to react during the late night once a month on average.
    - Working remote is a challenge. Even though it's encouraged in theory, in practice Knewton is not there yet to fully support this given the speed that things move.
    - For the amount of work one is performing compared to other companies that are entering their 6th year, the compensation could be better.

Advice to Management

Management is solid and available to anyone. They have the right balance of vision and practicality. Keep it going.