Knobbe Martens Olson & Bear - The Knobbe Family | Glassdoor

"The Knobbe Family"

Current Employee - IP Assistant in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Knobbe Martens Olson & Bear full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I am a current staff member and I love my job. This has to be the best firm in the world and I feel fortunate to be part of the Knobbe family.

Cons

There are a couple of staff members that have been empowered and should be put back in their place. One acts though she has a law degree.

Advice to Management

Love the firm but I wish empowered saff would know their place in the firm.

Other Employee Reviews for Knobbe Martens Olson & Bear

"Staff - Be Careful if you work in the OC Office"

Current Employee - IP Assistant in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Knobbe Martens Olson & Bear full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, salary, nice staff.

Cons

This is a big brother law firm. They have software that monitors typing. They monitor staff internet usage, emails, and oveall computer useage. They watch everything. Some staff are so afraid of being watched, they are in constant fear. Management does not like staff that speak up. If you speak up you are considered a trouble maker and then you're written up. Also managment have their staff that they favor. If you cross one the favored ones, you might as well pack your bags. This firm is ready to fire people at anytime. I've seen a lot of people fired in 2012.

Management always favors the partners over staff. The attorney is always right. If you havea problem with your attorney, or your attorney is not happy with you, start looking for another job. It's only time before you are going to be let go.

Advice to Management

This firm needs new management. People that care about people. The only thing that matters to this firm is how much the partners are making.

"The Haves and the Have Nots"

Current Employee - Associate in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in Irvine, CA

Pros

Great place to work if you have great clients

Cons

Terrible place to work if you don't

Advice to Management

The Haves: If you are fortunate enough to work on clients with large budgets for prosecution
    or work on active litigation matters, most or all of your time is billed and the 1750 billed quota can make this a lifestyle firm. You may have to work hard at times (what attorneys don't?) but overall your life is pretty good. When the firm was smaller, most of the clients were in this category (start-up med device firms with large IP budgets in the hopes of being acquired) and Knobbe was the place to be. Unfortunately, as the firm has grown larger, an ever smaller percentage of the firm's clients are in this category.

The Have Nots: More of the firm's clients are flat or capped fee clients (prosecution and litigation). The firm also takes on small clients with little funding and very low budgets. If you work on these clients, overall your life is terrible. Lots of cut time (read the other reviews on this site for more about that), juggling many small clients, which leads to a lot of inefficiency, dealing with the ever more onerous requiremnts of the flat/capped fee clients, which have commoditized patent prep/pros. Many of these practice areas have dried up, so you'll come here and there's no work for you. This leads to slow/stalled career development compared to your peers and much lower probablity of making partner. The flat/capped fee clients have burned out nearly all the associates working for them and these associates have left or are looking to (the firm cannot retain those with electrical/computer/high tech backgrounds due to the horrible working conditions for them; they soon learn that other firms treat them much better and pay far more). Most of the first/second year associates are staffed on Have Not clients, and associate morale is very low.

Work Distribution: It's simply a gamble as to what kind of clients you'll get. Work is not distributed fairly. If you have an electrical/computer background, it's almost a given that you'll get the firm's worst clients (no need to name names, everyone here knows who these clients are). It's apparent to everyone here that for some of the firm's best, highest paying clients that most of the entire team working on the client have the same religious background. If you don't go to the right church, you likely won't be asked to work on these clients.

There is increasing resentment between associates in the Have Not category and the Have category over the disparity in working conditions, career development, interesting/rewarding work, likelihood of making partner, likelihood of making a bonus. If you're a Have Not, you'll probably work hundreds of hours more a year to make quota than if you were a Have due to the amount of cut time. For example, litigators are near 100% efficient. Prosecutors are closer to 90% (or less if you're a first year). That 10% "inefficiency" amounts to 175 hours (5 weeks!) of extra full time work for prosecutors to make quota as compared to litigators. Plus you'll likely be blamed for being inefficient (read the other reviews on this site talking about "efficiency", a word associates soon learn to hate at Knobbe).

When I started here I was in the Have category. My life was pretty good. But through acquisitions, my better clients have left the firm due to conflicts. I'm probably 60% Have Not now. The difference is striking. It really can be a joy working for the Have clients. Your time is billed out, the budgets are large enough to do quality work, you feel part of a team building the IP portfolio. But for the Have Nots, you'll simply churn out work with low or unreasonable budgets, get little input from the partners (there's no budget for it), and hear over and over again that you simply have to learn to be more efficient. Work for the Have Nots is unrewarding and I spend more hours in the office than ever, just to try to meet my quota. I see the partners who work on the Have Not clients at the office all the time too. So what's the lure of making partner if you're in the Have Not category? More of the same boring, unrewarding work, but with a higher billing rate so you have even less time on any project.

Firm culture: The senior partners talk glowingly about our great firm culture as the secret of Knobbe's success. This may be true for the Haves, who will probably stay here and make partner. The Have Nots will leave. Unfortunately, one day you're a Have, and the next day you're a Have Not. So if you're thinking about coming to Knobbe, you've go to ask yourself one question, "Do you feel lucky?"

Advice to the senior management: until you address this growing disparity between the Haves and the Have Nots, the low morale will not improve and associates will continue to leave. It's a simple fairness issue now that the firm clearly has two tiers of clients. Reward attorneys for the amount of quality work they perform, not the amount that can be billed out to clients who have kept budgets flat while our billing rates have soared. As others have said on this site, why not go to a billable system - or at least a billable system for flat/capped/low budget clients to even out the disparity between working conditions between the Haves and Have Nots? The Haves may not like this, but it's only fair to give the Have Nots the same working conditions.

conditions. 's only fair to give the Have Nots the same working