Koch Industries - Great culture & huge organization = ample opportunity | Glassdoor

Featured Review

"Great culture & huge organization = ample opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Worked at Koch a decade in four separate Koch companies. Company culture is solid. Never once, in ten years, have I seen something I considered immoral or illegal. Good people - mostly midwestern. Koch doesn't recruit from Ivy League for a reason. People here care about their families and work good hours. Parking lot is nearly empty by 5:30 pm each day.

With so many subsidiaries, there is ample opportunity to change companies, cities, and/or roles. Unless you're a Director-level role or higher, most people are moving around every 2-3 years.

Koch is seeing a lot of baby boomer retirements, and a lot of millennials are coming in the door. Huge intern program (200+ interns each summer). Koch is responding fairly well to this and permitting individual teams/companies to be flexible as needed with millennial demands, however, this place is nowhere near a "start-up" culture. Dress is business-casual, most people are in cubes, there are no beanbags, no gym, no dogs at work.

If you live in Wichita and work at Koch HQ: pay is higher than local comparables, and cost of living is dirt cheap. This is a GREAT combination.

Koch cares very much for its employees. I've seen countless examples of Koch bending over backwards for people and their personal lives - illnesses, death in family, natural disaster, raising funds, charity work. It's really incredible.

Open door policy - I have zero doubt that, right now, I could walk into Mr. Koch's office with a concern or idea and he would welcome me with a huge smile. Management here is so receptive and so kind. It's very humbling.

Cons

Very few.

As I read through "cons" on Glassdoor, it's a shame to think that candidates may read them and presume the cons apply to Koch Industries overall. Koch has more than 100k employees, in hundreds of offices throughout the world. Most complaints seem pretty specific to one group or one disgruntled employee. If you're here more than a few months, chances are the problem will self-resolve. I've had more than a dozen bosses during my time here. Some were better than others, but none were terrible. HR and Compliance are extremely receptive to concerns and will shift things as needed.

Koch Industries Response

Dec 12, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. You are right that we absolutely value feedback from our employees, so thank you for sharing yours! Continue to foster all the pieces that... More

Other Employee Reviews for Koch Industries

1. "WORK AT KOCH"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, Great culture, Market Based Management

Cons

Rigid schedule - no flex

Koch Industries Response

Feb 8, 2017

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review! I enjoy working at Koch for many of the same reasons you listed in your review. We pride ourselves on our Market Based Management culture and I am glad... More

2. "Great people Great atmoshere"

Current Employee - Power Plant E&I Tech in Muskogee, OK
    Current Employee - Power Plant E&I Tech in Muskogee, OK

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people in muskogee that work at gp make it one of the most successful paper mills in the world

Cons

For the vast majority there are no major cons. Just very minimal complaints due to people having been there for over 30 years so they have to bicour cause they don't know how good we have it

Advice to Management

Keep it simple and never forget that we are a great team all out trying to be safe and provide for our families and return to them everyday the same way or better than we were when we left to go to work