Koch Industries - The benefits of working at Koch just wasn't worth the sacrifices required to be successful. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Koch Industries

"The benefits of working at Koch just wasn't worth the sacrifices required to be successful."

Former Employee - Accountant in Wichita, KS
Former Employee - Accountant in Wichita, KS

I worked at Koch Industries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most co-workers were very smart and respectful people.
Wages were very competitive.
Culture thought "outside the box", which was a great change from what I was used to.

Cons

Work/LIfe balance was very heavy on the work side. My group was expected to work 10-12 hour days on a regular basis. One of my co-workers was working over 18 hours straight one day. The long hours were due mainly to poor software. My department used in-house IT, which proved to be very unreliable. I recomended contacting in IT support to fix the issues quicker, but the idea was ignored. The long hours were not thought of as being a problem, which was the sign I needed to find something different. If I am going to work 12 hours a day, it will be to make myself rich, not someone else. Koch is a private company, so none of the employees have ownership.

Advice to Management

Create more of a work/life balance for your employees. Most of the employees will not complain about the hours, but it shouldnt take a complaint to respect someone else. Show them that you care proactively and don't expect them to sacrifice time with their families to increase your bottom line. Also, do a full efficiency audit of your processes. During the short time that I was there, I saw multiple areas for improvement. When I brought up an issue, the answer I always got was "we do it this way because we've always done it this way". Koch has been very successful, but when working there, all I could think of is how much more successful they could be if they made things more efficient.

Other Employee Reviews for Koch Industries

"Consistently growing and profitable company, but CEO practically requires that you drink his Kool-Aid!"

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Wichita, KS

I worked at Koch Industries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment, competitive and challenging in a good way, fair and competitive salaries

Cons

The CEO seeks to indoctrinate his employees and management in his set of conservative, market-centric ideals through required training sessions, classes and workshops. Your escalation into mid- to upper-level management will not come unless you prove that you believe in his ideals and business model. Also, BILLIONS of the income earned at Koch is funneled to Super PACs that support a very specific political agenda.

Advice to Management

Great company, but Mr. Koch should do more to distance himself and his political agenda from his company.

"Glad to be gone"

Current Employee - KOCH Good, KBS Bad in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - KOCH Good, KBS Bad in Wichita, KS

Pros

If you can get a job at one of the other KOCH companies things get better, good. Overall KOCH is a good place to work, KBS is not the place to be.

Cons

Its a shared service group that claims that it wants to be top notch, but in the end all they care about is getting by on the cheap and the backs of the workers. Command and control, do as your told, don't think out loud, tow the company line. If the sky is blue, you better say its green if thats what the boss says or your out. They preach their 10 principles, but no one in leadership roles follow them. Its basically all about keeping costs down and making sure the top leaders get the bonuses. Leaders claim they follow the 10 principles, but don't, you practice the do as I say or else mgmt model. They claim to want to follow the law (written or its intent), rules but only when it keeps doesn't impact their bonus.

Advice to Management

I can not believe Mr. Koch allows you to stay.....