Kohl's - A good place to work! | Glassdoor

"A good place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Thorndale, PA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Thorndale, PA

Pros

It is a great place to work at and the majority of workers there are friendly and easy to get along with. The salary is different according to what job you apply for at kohls. I worked there for only a short amount of time but that is not because I didn't enjoy it. I actually really liked working there. I quit because of personal issues going on in my life. Overall it was a great place to work at.

Cons

Sometimes you can be scheduled your whole weekend to work because the computer makes the schedules. However, it changes from week to week.

Advice to Management

When there is a trainer coming in to train make sure that someone is available to show them what they are supposed to do. When I started this job for my first day no one was there at first. I had to go to customer service to figure out what I was supposed to be doing. When I've applied for other jobs and am in training it is more organized. There isn't really much else that I'd like to say.

Other Employee Reviews for Kohl's

"Look before you leap!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menomonee Falls, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menomonee Falls, WI

Pros

Excellent employee perks and onsite services such as banking, drycleaning, daycare. If young and just starting your career, there is definitely a lot of areas for horizontal movement within the company.

Cons

Very hierarchical - many in management positions refuse to correspond with those in positions they deem at a lower level then themselves. It takes several follow-up attempts to get answers from co-workers and other departments - most of the work day is filled with continuously following up with people when they do not respond. A good portion of those in management positions got there by just being with the company in it's infancy and as such, they do not have well developed management or people skills.

They tend to low ball the compensation offers. Everyone I've spoken with has been told during the interview process that they are significantly overpaid, that the company doesn't pay that high for that particular position or that there isn;t enough money in the budget. They will cite the many perks and benefits, but keep in mind these onsite benefits are really so that you don't have a reason to leave the building during the day (hint: so you can work longer hours).

Parking is horrible, although there is a shuttle bus service in the front of the building it only runs during certain hours. This is mostly a problem during inclement weather.

Advice to Management

Work to better develop the management/people skills of mid-level managers. Consider 180 degree review/feedback so that you're aware of poor management and can either develop or weed out those that cannot lead others.

"Recession proof?"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

Kohl's is a growing company, even during these hard economic times. The company believes they are recession proof, and I hope they are right. Also, because the company is so large, there are a lot of opportunities for your career to grow. I started as a shoe associate while I was completing my education. Management recognized my talents and moved me into the beauty department, where I was trained in cosmetic consulting. Now, I'm starting as a assistant store manager.

Cons

Long hours and really late nights when closing the store. During the holiday season the store closes at midnight and the employees are often there until 4 a.m. recovering the store.

Poor training on all levels from sales associates to management.

Advice to Management

I suggest spending a little extra time and money on training employees.