Kohl's - Great place for an internship in retail ! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Kohl's

"Great place for an internship in retail !"

Former Intern - Store Management Intern in San Antonio, TX
Former Intern - Store Management Intern in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Kohl's as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

If you have never worked retail before, you will learn a lot. Hands on training and you will learn about every area of the store. You are considered part of the executive staff, so you spend time with district and regional managers.They invest a lot into their interns and how good your experience is is really based on how much you put in to it. I got to fly out of state for my orientation and they have a three day conference in Milwaukee for interns and MITs and it was really fun and they pay was competitive.

Cons

Your experience will differ depending on the store you are located at and if you are with other interns or not. Really big on not going over hours so they send you home and it left the store understaffed at times , and also which cuts into your learning and you can't finish tasks on time. Making credit is big too, so performance for associates based on if making goals or not. At times i felt that I was in the way and there was no time for me.

Advice to Management

Send interns to stores with an executive staff that is better prepared and experienced with having them so they can make the most out of their experience and time with the company.

Other Employee Reviews for Kohl's

"DO NOT expect great things!"

Current Employee - Associate in Mantua, NJ
    Current Employee - Associate in Mantua, NJ

I have been working at Kohl's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent employee discount. Nice break room.

Cons

NO work life balance because the work hours are inconsistent. You will work until 11:30pm and be back to work by 7:30am. Super low pay scale with high expectations. Yearly reviews are a joke. Was given a great evauation but it had to be changed because the manager is not allowed to give out evaluations that have the highest marks. I was told there is a scale that must be followed and a lot of the evaluations had to be changed to follow company protocol. So, my evaluation was tweaked to reflect company protocol and my scores were lowered slightly.....but I wasn't supposed to tell you that. The manager told me I shouldn 't have been told about that policy but I guess it slipped out.. POOR training...basically thrown to the wolves. No communication between management and associates. If you are a mind reader you will excel. Made to take verbal abuse from customers with a smile. Whatever the customer wants they get because they say so. No support for individual departments from management. Female management goes to lunch together and leaves an associate in the manage'ssupervisor's role while they eat. Associates not all treated th same. FAVORTISM!

Advice to Management

All management should know how each department runs in Kohl's. Hearing I don't know when I ask a question is not a good answer. If you are young and in charge remember you do not have the life experiences and work experiences to be a truly effective leader. Your department supervisors make Kohl's what it is. Stop taking responsibility for what the asociates do.

2. "Kohls is a great place to work!"

Former Employee - Stock Clerk in Lawrence, IN
    Former Employee - Stock Clerk in Lawrence, IN

I worked at Kohl's part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Kohls has great employee discounts!

Cons

Hours are sporatic during the year.