Kohl's - Great place to shop, not so much to work | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Kohl's

"Great place to shop, not so much to work"

Former Employee - POS Associate in Madison, WI
Former Employee - POS Associate in Madison, WI

I worked at Kohl's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The 15% employee discount is nice, especially since you can use it in conjunction with other offers. There was never a problem getting time off requests. For the most part, the other people were nice. It was nice to be able to wear jeans on football days.

Cons

Kohl's is extremely focused on getting credit and emails. I never had a problem getting credits but, for the most part, it really was luck. One of the most frustrating things was that they would offer 20% off to sign up for a card but then there were always other coupons in the emails giving 20% off, so it wasn't really an incentive for people to sign up. The email thing was also very annoying; if people have the card, they usually get the emails. The pay was also a huge deterrent, along with the variance in hours. If you need a steady income, Kohl's is not the place for you. I usually got around 10-15 hours per week. My last two weeks there I had 25.5 hours the first week and then 5 the next. With the low pay, it made it not worth my time to work there. They just kept hiring and hiring people in anticipation of Christmas so there were way too many employees and not enough hours.

Advice to Management

Actually focus on customer service. The entire transaction felt like I was trying to sell something to people who, in most cases, were already spending quite a bit of money. It would also be good to be a little bit more discerning in who you hire. The coupon thing is a huge issue - if you want people to get credit, don't send out so many emails! When you are paid so little and harped on all the time to get credits and emails, there is a huge turnover and you lose good employees.

Other Employee Reviews for Kohl's

1. "Work Life Balance is Nonexistent on the Store Level"

Current Employee - Jewelry Associate in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Jewelry Associate in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Kohl's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The job isn't that difficult, my coworkers are amazing, and it is possible to have another job.

Cons

Credit is emphasized over customer service and despite what they say this company does not emphasis a work-life balance.

Advice to Management

Management should realize that the pay is low so most employees have another source of income and are not available to be called in on short notice. Raises would also be nice. After a year and a half of working here I still make less than $8 an hour despite stellar performance reviews.

2. "Absolutely atrocious. Treated like garbage by management and other co-workers."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Mira Loma, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Mira Loma, CA

I worked at Kohl's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

none, there is no positives to working at this store.

Cons

Everybody who works there is rude to one another, EVERYBODY. I was treated with such disrespect that I had to quit my job here. Very unprofessional way of handling things, the way it is run is terribly unorganized. The managers are inconsiderate, and treat you like garbage. I even had a racial slur thrown at me. I can't believe how they have so many people working there for more than a month.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with dignity and respect. Organize your schedule and your store.