Kohl's - Understaffed, overworked, underpaid, unappreciated | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Kohl's

"Understaffed, overworked, underpaid, unappreciated"

Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Brookfield, WI
Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Brookfield, WI

I worked at Kohl's part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employee discount

Some of the other associates are awesome

Cons

They NEVER staff appropriately and still expect you to somehow bend over backwards for customers. I worked in the Housewares/Domestics/Seasonal departments and was frequently the only employee working in all three departments at once. A single one of those departments gets more phone calls and customers requiring assistance than all of the other departments combined. Managing all three at once means that I am handling more than three times the customers of everyone else in the store combined. At least staff a second person!

They tell you to get someone to cover your departments so that you can take your breaks, but the clothing associates don't understand how to assist in the Home departments, and they just end up calling you. I--and every associate I worked with in these areas--would have to work through our breaks and UNPAID lunch hours on a daily basis. If you work a grueling nine-hour day, you will only get paid for eight.

They never give the raises that you have the potential to get because you will never meet their expectations for credit applications. When do I, as a floor associate, have time to help customers apply for credit cards?! I barely have enough time to do the rest of my job. I'm not sitting at a register all day, that I can just process credit application after credit application.

Corporate employees who come in to shop always have to tell you, "I'm from corporate." And they WILL expect preferential treatment. They don't care about the customers you are waiting on already. In general, corporate will make your life harder. Their planograms are impractical, and they never stock merchandise correctly. Do they ever actually look around when they come to the store? For example, everyone knows that Queen is the most popular size of bedding. Why wouldn't you supply more of it so the store is not constantly out of the items your customers want? As a floor associate, you will be the one paying the price for their poor decisions--and believe me, they make a LOT of them.

Sometimes you will not find out until Saturday whether or not you work on Sunday. The week-by-week scheduling is terrible and doesn't allow for flexibility in your personal life.

Advice to Management

- Staff appropriately

- Pay attention to labor laws and make sure your employees are able to take their breaks

- Back off your insane expectations for credit applications. I actually had a manager tell me to go over to a group of men and "prostitute myself out" for credit. I should have sued then.

- Stop treating your corporate employees like they are better than your store associates, who are the ones ACTUALLY doing the work to make sure your customers come back.

- Get someone who actually works in the store to order/stock merchandise, because corporate is clueless. They do not supply enough of the popular items, and they supply too many of the unpopular items.

Other Employee Reviews for Kohl's

1. "Good experience"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Jackson, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Jackson, MI

I worked at Kohl's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good experience for getting your foot into the door with customer service. Good employee discount, laid-back atmosphere, don't feel too stressed out at work. Company treats their employees well.

Cons

For a cashier or sales associate, there is too much emphasis put on soliciting credit. It seemed more important to them than sales numbers or anything else.

"Great place to start a career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menomonee Falls, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menomonee Falls, WI

I have been working at Kohl's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Large teams provide a support system. Benefits aren't the best I've seen, but they're pretty close (401K matching, vacation buyback, etc.) There are some very nice people who work there, and there are some people who do an exemplary job.

Cons

The environment is very intense, at times dog eat dog. Cross departmental communication is challenging and internal politics often get in the way of productivity. Very solid glass ceiling. Performance reviews aren't really tied to performance, but become more a cost of living increase.

Advice to Management

Take a second look at the culture shift over the last decade and try to stem the attrition by understanding and appreciating true associate performance.