Kohl's - Very negativeplace to work | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Kohl's

"Very negativeplace to work"

Current Employee - Current Store Manager in Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Current Store Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Kohl's full-time

Pros

Good Management training program.
Competative salary.

Cons

-I can't speak for the company as a whole, but the people I have worked for at Kohls are very negative people. You will never be congratulated on the 99 things you do right. Rather, you will be hammered on the 1 thing they find wrong. It is almost like a game to see how bad they can make you feel about your worth to the company.
-Payroll is a joke. If you are a manager, expect to work a lot of 6 day weeks and 12-14 hour days to make up for the lack of staffing.
-If you get a visit from anyone higher than a District Manager, you will be expected to work 20 hour days and spend all the payroll you can. Then, you will have to work even longer the rest of the month because you will have to cut payroll to make the month. Here is the thing I don't understand....Do the Corporate level executives not understand that they are being lied to when they walk a store? Do they not get that 3 times the regular payroll was spent prepping for that visit? It seams to me that they want to be lied to. If it were me, I would want to see what my stores really looked like on a day to day basis.
-A lot of metrics that they track daily. Most of these can be manipulated if you lacking integrity. There are so many managers in this company that cheat on these metrics (especially customer service and price change compliance) that the honest ones look like they are doing a bad job.

Advice to Management

We need new leadership at the top. Stop putting so much focus on metrics and more on integrity. For god sakes, give the store's the payroll they need t get the job done so the store management can have a life outside of work.

Other Employee Reviews for Kohl's

1. "Depends on the leader"

Former Employee - AA Assistant Store Manager in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - AA Assistant Store Manager in Miami, FL

I worked at Kohl's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Gives you all the tools and training needed to be a great leader

Cons

No consistent measurements all assessments based on dms warped perspective

Advice to Management

If you are going to have an employee hot line at least do something with the information given

2. "Kohl's Depatment Store Review"

Current Employee - POS in Moreno Valley, CA
    Current Employee - POS in Moreno Valley, CA

I have been working at Kohl's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

This store is very t eam-work oriented and pushes the core values during most times. There are a lot of friendly associates and people you can even make life long friendships with. There are many opportunities to make these friendships during the volunteer"a team" events, and even holidays banquets. Also there are some really good associate discounts throughout the year.

Cons

Managers will often try to get their work done or appear busy before helping you.One of my supervisors willl see the line with like 10 people and not even help. He will take his time to call for back up, and if no one responds he will just help bag or leave saying he has to go help so and so. Also another supervisor will always"appear" busy by walking around fast and telling everyone eles to do something while she just walks around and checks on everyone eles. She always tells the POS associates to put go backs away and "Get them KCs". Also, there is a lot of drama between some co-workers and even supervisors. On eof the sad things about the seasonal workers is that for each department we only take like one person . The way seasonals get picked for permanent is by the amount of KCS they get. A few of my friends were the friendliest of people to customers ,smiling ALLLL THE TIME,happy,energetic, and well-liked,(and even got service compliments) but they couldnt stay because they did not solicit credit. We only keep 3 POS's who get the most .Its not too fair because some POS associates are not even trained on how to sell credit like some of us are. Lastly there is not enough hours for all associates

Advice to Management

please do not put soooooo much pressure on associates to get Kc's for the hours.Especially during times of recession. Also, please allow the Loss prevention to do more in regards to theft externally. They should be allowed to cary some form of weapon for protection because in moreno valley we have gotten ALOT of creeps and armed people.