Kohl's - Unprofessional | Glassdoor

"Unprofessional"

Current Employee - MJM Supervisor
Current Employee - MJM Supervisor

I have been working at Kohl's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I think first you need to understand that not all Kohl's are alike~I have several friends that work at other Kohl's in our district and they feel different about their jobs simply because of the managment~I have also worked for 3 different kohl's; Pros for working at my current location are; co-workers are wonderful, benefits, same number of hours per week (I am full-time) during the slow time and more during the busy times, this store is very clean and we are all expected to work together to give the customer a great experience.

Cons

Management; Management needs to learn to keep their comments about other employees to themselves or at least to the management team only; employees should never learn that they are getting fired through the grapevine or that they are bad at their job through others. This information needs to be kept within the walls of the office; we should not hear about management having a party because they finally forced someone out of their job; at my kohl's the management team are bullies to the people they do not like; their door is not open for any complaints like they say; if you do complain everyone that works there hears about it. Communication really needs a lot of work~over the holiday's people were fired because they were never told the policies or told incorrectly~then there are the "pets" for our management team it is the young pretty girls or the young guys~average age for our team is 28~they are just not professional~

Advice to Management

Communication needs to be assured in every store even if each employee has to sign something each time a policy is reviewed~there needs to be a way for each employee to assured that if they have a complaint that the district manager or even higher management heeds each complaint~I would suggest an audit of each manager that is given to the district manager or higher instead of these audits being done in the store that you work~

Other Employee Reviews for Kohl's

"Takes advantage of employees"

Former Employee - POS Associate in Millville, NJ
    Former Employee - POS Associate in Millville, NJ

I worked at Kohl's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Big discount a few times a year

Cons

low pay, not enough hours, no recognition of good work ethic

Advice to Management

Give employees longer shifts than 4 hours, give better wages, and give more recognition to those who work hard.

"Doing Lots with Little"

Former Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Kohl's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Job stability and a somewhat predictable work/life balance for a retail management position. The company is also respected in the community and by its customers, making a management position a positive on one's resume. Employee discounts are generous and frequently enhanced for special events, making clothing one's family very affordable. OK, it's not a great reason to work there, but it helps.

Cons

Stores are run with very little payroll for the amount of space, merchandise and business that must be managed. Employee quality can also be tough as the company pays hourly employees minimum wage to start with meager annual increases. I had candidates get up and leave interviews when they heard the starting rate - which is not negotiable - on more than one occasion. The ideal job candidate is someone who doesn't need the money and is looking for something to do to get out of the house and will appreciate the generous employee discount (think: a spouse with a strong primary income in the family).

Managers are placed under extreme pressure to produce new credit applications. This leads to wide-spread cheating that is a survival strategy for many. The program is supposed to be this: apply, get approved and you get a discount. The reality: apply and get a discount. By the way, the employee getting the credit account gets a small cash payout for the application. Everyone wins by turning a blind eye to the flexible ethics of this program. The customer gets a discount, the employee gets a little money and the management team avoids heat.

Advice to Management

Do your research and find out what's really happening in the stores. The culture around credit creates a rotten core that spreads cancer-like to other decisions (email solicitation? customer service scores? maybe...)