Kohl's - Assisant Store Manger | Glassdoor

"Assisant Store Manger"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Kohl's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

great time at work, customers are fun, pay was awesome, turnover was off and on. Relationship with DM was weak. Awesome updated systems. Strong with process / operations management -

Cons

store recovery was challedging with payroll given. Reationship with DM was weak. overnighters and large resets - Merchandising for our store was challedging due to the size (we would get 1/2 of a new programs)

Advice to Management

My experience prior to Kohls was with another big box retail that went through serveral changes. I consider my self a felxable and postive change manager. The "test pilot - SOTF" - suggestions- having a visit to the actual store from the team from corp. / regional champion / District and not a management known, would have cleared up many unanswered questions and given a true picture of commication such as "inform and prepared". Local manager was not able to give a response to question. Town Hall style / surveys from employee's would have / or could be a win - win. I left because the questions that we not answered, confusion of where to get payroll support to keep standards in place and as well as "just get the product out" on truck day, make the rack look good, no sizing time- product had to be touched 3 times plus- to get right. My store manager was not a merchant, he was a operator. I felt my voice was unheard. I had no supported on the merchant side of the business. I had a number of customers appoarch me and asked what was going on, why, the store is not the same and you can feel it when you walk in. That was embarassing. I did commuicate to my store manager, I would of thought there would have be action. I gave up and was lost. I was frustated and realized I had no job satifaction. I did go shopping a few months after and I saw that there was oppertunies that were there when I left. It's an insult to me that I saw incomplete tasks that were called out by upper and regional management( kplanner-updates-keeping recovery up) and signing-clean- size oppertunites. It was a slap in the face. Maybe I was a target. I miss my customers and knowing my realtionship, they miss me. I can see some not shopping as much. I walk away from alot of money and benifits.

Other Employee Reviews for Kohl's

1. "Kohl's one of the better retailers out there"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Kohl's full-time

Pros

Genuine focus on work life balance in the midst of normal retail requirements. Service based culture, with a focus on keeping stores fresh and consistent

Cons

A growing disconnect between senior leadership expectations and what is realistic/beneficial at the store level.

Advice to Management

take a non-scored survey of Assistant Store Managers and Store Managers, asking ways to improve company goals at the store level.

2. "Great company to work for."

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Kohl's full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are several opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Long hours are often required.