Kohl's - Work hard = No gain | Glassdoor

"Work hard = No gain"

Former Employee - Trucking and Replenishing Associate in Manteca, CA
Former Employee - Trucking and Replenishing Associate in Manteca, CA

I worked at Kohl's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I felt professional and respected, even admired while I worked there. They told me that I could be kept if I worked hard enough so that motivated me to do my best. The store was clean, and the original workers took to me quickly. They hoped I had the job because they really liked me around.

Cons

They laid me off,
I unloaded the truck fast, was never late, I rode my bike to work in the rain and dense fog with semi trucks blaring by me almost sucking me into the road because there were no sidewalks... but nonetheless I still made it. I dressed professionally, black slacks, belt, and a button up collard shirt. I always took the extra shifts, and I never argued.. nothing.. I was great there. Then one day I picked up my weekly schedule and it was blank. I asked if I should come back next week and they said "probably not". I asked if they would call me if they needed a hand 2 weeks from now and this person said "sure". My heart sunk, I knew I had just been let go unprofessionally after all my effort to dress to impress.. to dress for the job.. to out perform. I got played. They got the most usage out of me with a fake carrot at the end of the stick. I felt ripped off. This job was 4 years ago. Had I been kept I could have climbed and continued to do great for Kohl's.

Advice to Management

Allow temporary/seasonal hires to replace your original workers. This will light some fire under those who have gotten "comfortable". This will also increase efficiency and performance of your employees greatly.
Regardless of my experience, I like the choices at Kohl's; I feel classy in the clothes I can get from their. I am tempted to wear my Kohl's nametag/badge and nicer clothes at a local Kohl's just to cause some trouble.. for payback :p

Other Employee Reviews for Kohl's

1. "Great experience, good company to work for"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Kohl's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very flexible, easy to pick up and swap schedules. Good benefits for PT and FT

Cons

Very scripted, not a lot of independence

2. "Great company if you're looking for a retail position."

Former Employee - Point of Sale Supervisor in Muskegon, MI
    Former Employee - Point of Sale Supervisor in Muskegon, MI

I worked at Kohl's part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great training provided that allows you to make decisions with confidence, at least an extra 15% off for employee discount, flexible schedule, good atmosphere. They often have extra money to provide lunch/dinner for breakfast during holidays.

Cons

Low pay, fluctuating hours throughout the year, part-time shifts only 4 hours at a time normally.