Kohl's - Not bad for retail. | Glassdoor

"Not bad for retail."

Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Erie, PA
Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Erie, PA

I worked at Kohl's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Generally flexible hours, a lot of employee shopping days.

Cons

Work is fast paced and management is constantly changing their minds on what they want.

Advice to Management

You're employees know how to do their jobs better than you know how to do their jobs.

Other Employee Reviews for Kohl's

"Good Times and Bad Working Part-Time at Kohl's"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Kohl's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Being a college student, I enjoyed flexible hours and had the ability to change my availability every semester (or sometimes more frequently as needed) and take time off during Christmas when I couldn't live in the city between semesters. I've worked at two different stores, and I've gotten along really well with most of the associates at both. The staff is also very diverse (young, old, multiple races, dyed hair, tattoos), thus the company is accepting of different cultures and preferences. Most of the days I've requested off have been honored. The pay starts at above minimum wage. The area in which I work is also flexible; by request I was able to move from register to fitting rooms, which I like much better. I've also had informal training in various other departments, such as shoes, jewelry, and customer service. They respect your privacy by not drug testing. They also engage in environmentally friendly projects (like installing solar panels) and donate to schools via Kohl's Cares with really adorable books and stuffed animals.

Cons

Poor raises, average 20-25 cents a year, and that's if you worked with them the whole year. They have a philosophy that if you are able to solicit more kohl's card applications, you get a higher raise. I am doubtful about that, for at one store I was in the top three of solicitors, and I got 26 cents. Comparably, a friend of mine who just began working at Target says everyone is eligible for up to $1 raise per year depending on performance.

I've also noticed that some managers make inappropriate decisions, have unrealistic standards, waste company time, or are unhelpful to associates who work on the floor directly with customers. I have a few specific people in mind, and I've only experienced this in one of the stores out of the two I've worked in. I'm unimpressed with the upper management's ability to recognize these issues with the in-store managers, but this could easily vary from store to store.

I also feel as though I put forth a lot of effort during my shifts both with customers and my other associates, and I don't feel as though I'm always recognized for my efforts (part of that has to do with poor raises). Kohl's seems to reward massive credit card solicitation from associates, not customer service or efforts put forth for a clean store. Some days I wonder why I bother to do well with customers or my work if that's not what will be rewarded.

Advice to Management

Overall I enjoy working at Kohl's, but I would be proud to say I work there if my work was better appreciated, the raises were more competitive with other companies, and there was better communication between levels of management and associates who work with customers on a daily basis.

2. "Kohl's - "Wanting more, for less.""

Current Employee - Area Supervisor
    Current Employee - Area Supervisor

I have been working at Kohl's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Depending on your store manager, the overall working environment can be quite friendly and inviting. There is also a good focus on work-life balance. Allowing associate to take scheduled vacations or medical leave without being hassled.

Cons

Just like many large corporations, they begin to want more for less. Adding new features and benefits for the customers, while cutting back on payroll and higher paying positions for the associates.

Advice to Management

This is directed towards the upper senior management. Instead of cutting back on higher paying positions, try cutting back on the limousines and fancy hotels while visiting stores.