Kohl's - So so company | Glassdoor

"So so company"

Current Employee - Freight Associate in Hartford, CT
Current Employee - Freight Associate in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Kohl's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

good place to work with mostly friendly people. Store is kept clean for the most part and this helps your overall attitude at the work place.

Cons

The hours were terrible and they hired way to many people for limited jobs. I think this is because they do not want everyone to become full time and get benefits.

Advice to Management

be more helpful and not just a dictator

Other Employee Reviews for Kohl's

"Things have changed"

Current Employee - ASM in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - ASM in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Kohl's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great vacation package, I've met a lot of amazing people in leadership roles in the stores with tons of talent

Cons

The company has changed quite a bit over the last 6 years due to fast growth. There was a time when you would truly feel as if the company cared about the employees. The vacation is great for managers, but You are limited on when vacation can be taken(lots of blackout dates). The company places a lot of emphasis on customer service which is fine, but the stores are not given enough payroll to support the expectation and each stores customer service score has a large impact on the ASM's annual review. Not enough payroll given to support workload. Payroll is naturaly based on sales, however, the overabundance of coupons and abuse of the yes we can policy are not taken into consideration. You may do $20k in net sales , but moved $30k worth of merchandise after discounts. As the company grows the disconnect between corporate offices and the field is rapidly growing. There was a time when corporate rarely made mistakes the stores had to react to, now there's something different every week. "Yes we can" policy is nice, but too liberal. Corporate says not many people abuse the policy but those of us in the stores see rampant abuse everyday.

Advice to Management

Put your money where your mouth is and support the stores so they can deliver what you promise. The customer expects a high level of customer service coupled with a high end environment because that's what you advertise and want to be known for, but you do not give the stores nearly enough payroll to support it. You have so much talent and dedicated managers but you won't keep them long because they are not able to practice what you preach to the customers.

"Kohl's has a competitive and driven work environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menomonee Falls, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menomonee Falls, WI

I have been working at Kohl's full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You will be pushed to deliver your best work

Cons

No genuine focus on mentoring and associate development - not part of the culture.