Kohl's - Completely Dysfunctional | Glassdoor

"Completely Dysfunctional"

Current Employee - Manager in Menomonee Falls, WI
Current Employee - Manager in Menomonee Falls, WI

I have been working at Kohl's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great cafeteria, great benefits for families, suburban location

Cons

Kohl's corporate environment is completely dysfunctional, which is likely due to unplanned rapid growth. It is hard to overstate the level of siloing in the IT organization. Worse yet, senior organizational leaders at the helm of IT work against hidden agendas actively pushing people on the ground to work against one another. What's more, they are staffing up fully duplicative positions across the silos without considering how these positions play together in the same ecosystem. As a result, the very culture of the IT organization along with the culture of those business partners working with them is starting to break down. Dedicated team members have a passion for this work and see what's possible, so they stick with it--working incredible hours to try to make it happen. These heroic efforts are not rewarded at all by leadership. It seems that Kohl's leadership forgets one key thing about employees--we're not machines. If Kohl's can resolve this dysfunction, I am optimistic that Kohl's can blow the competition out of the water. Many of us hang on because we see what's possible. If you are looking for an IT position right now, I recommend looking elsewhere. If you do decide to take a chance on Kohl's, do yourself a favor and don't lock yourself in to a contract.

Advice to Management

Culture is falling apart due to dysfunction across the leadership team. If you set your hidden agendas aside and start working together, you can expect great things.

Other Employee Reviews for Kohl's

"Cashier"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Redlands, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Redlands, CA

I worked at Kohl's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

getting an employee discount even on sale items

Cons

hrs are terrible, pay is minimum, just another last min seasonal kind of job.

Advice to Management

have a heart and keep the employees in mind.

2. "Not too bad, not too good"

Former Employee - Customer Service Area Supervisor in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Area Supervisor in Nashville, TN

I worked at Kohl's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Flexibility for part time associates
    -can be a fun atmosphere at times, really depends on the store manager who sets the tone for the whole building.

Cons

-low pay
    -favoritism when it comes to starting pay for promotions (found out I was being paid less than anyone else had been after my promotion.
    -the more you advance the longer your hours, close to 60 a week during busy times for salaried employees.
    -no work life balance as you advance
    -heavy pressure to meet goals with few rewards if you do
    -selling credit cards and getting people to sign up for emails

Advice to Management

Remember your employees have families. Don't pay some one who works hard less than everyone else. They will leave when they find out. Have better incentives when it comes to meeting goals.