Kohl's - Sucks the life out of you. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Kohl's

"Sucks the life out of you."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Oro Valley, AZ
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Oro Valley, AZ

Pros

Love my coworkers. Scheduling is ok. I've managed to get a decent work scehdule. The discount is Ok. It's close to where I live. I don't have to have this job. Knowing that I can quit if they piss me off somehow makes me feel better.

Cons

Doomed for failure. Management doesn't recognize hard work. Management fiddles with work hours. They don't schedule enough people to get the job done efficiently. The pay is horrible. After 2 years of loyal service I now make $8.20. That's ridiculous! The way they push you to get people to open credit cards is horrible. I hate it! I've herd that management gets a hefty bonus if the store makes credit for the year and the employees are the ones that get the credit for them. That's crazy!

Advice to Management

Read above.

Other Employee Reviews for Kohl's

1. "Don't be a Kohls Consultant"

Former Employee - IS Consultant in Menomonee Fls, WI
    Former Employee - IS Consultant in Menomonee Fls, WI

Pros

If you are looking to disappear in a world of 6 foot cubicles then this is the place for you. Great place to eat breakfast and lunch. If you are looking to gain weight then you should also consider this company.

Cons

If you are looking to get into Kohls Corporate in the IS department....Good luck unless you have a lot of experience and have high level skills. The IT/IS dept is a two tier dept. Those on the top (Kohls employees), and those on the bottom, which are the consultants (temps). They do most of their dirty work with consultants, that have little to no chance to get hired on the Kohls payroll. They also show no signs providing the opportunity to train any IT/IS consultants from the bottom to get to the top.
    The chairs that you have to sit in all day are like ten years out of date. Comfort is key when you have to sit there all day long.

Advice to Management

Make more Consultant positions actual Kohls payroll positions. It would boost morale, and allow for more personal growth for individuals that are looking to advance their careers.

"Don't expect great things from this company...."

Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Richmond, KY
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Richmond, KY

Pros

This company provides health, dental, and eye benefits, 401k benefits, and tuition reimbursement for both full and part-time employees, which is one of the best things the company has to offer. Not many companies offer benefits to their part-time workers, but Kohl's does. In addition, the employee discount is 10% off hardlines items (shoes, home goods, etc) and 15% off softlines (clothing, accessories). This may not sound like much, but these discounts are on top of sale prices and markdown prices, so it does add up. Scheduling is flexible if you are part-time.

Cons

Management is mediocre at best, and communication amongst the members of management, as well as communication between associates and management is unheard of. Management is full of empty promises that are never fufilled, and while there is plenty of room for advancement within each store, more often than not the promotions go to the most underqualified member of the team. While the jobs are simple and straightforward, training is overlooked. Employees are expected to follow "Kohl's Best Practices", but those rules and regulations are NEVER conveyed. Don't hold your breath if you desire praise or positive feedback for accomplishments or a job well-done. Good work is never rewarded. On the flip side, breaking the rules is never punished. You could kill someone and still keep your job. This is a lower-level retail job, so the types of people you get to work with are varied. The management is generally uneducated, and have limited job experience. While the company provides tuition reimbursement, management frowns upon anyone trying to further their education while they are employeed at the company (ironic?). Activites outside of work that might restrict your schedule--including family, school, or another job--are also frowned upon. This company is clueless about the meaning of work-life balance.

Advice to Management

I wish management would care about their associates. Take our ideas, complaints, and concerns seriously. Value others' time, and above all, COMMUNICATE with each other and with us to convey what needs to be done and why.