Kona Grill - Positive | Glassdoor

"Positive"

Former Employee - Hostess in Dallas, TX
Former Employee - Hostess in Dallas, TX

I worked at Kona Grill part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people that work there are great, its like a family, especially the male managers they are funny but also serious about their job.

Cons

When we got the female managers, all the hostess were unhappy because they butt into the hostess stand and when there was only the male managers they trusted the hostess to do their job the way they believed was best and didnt question every single seating.

Advice to Management

Don't micro manage the hostess stand.

Other Employee Reviews for Kona Grill

1. "Could be better, though it could be worse..."

Current Employee - Server in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Server in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Kona Grill part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love the flexibility and the website they use for the scheduling. This makes it easy to trade or give up shifts in a pinch. Usually the location is bustling and you can have a lot of tables and opportunities in one shift to make lots of cash, of course if people tip the right way. When everyone tips reasonably the tips are great! Another positive is that we are paid every night on time! Also all checks work every time too!`

Cons

New management recently changed a whole bunch of prodedures and added some headaches and basically has made illogical changes to the way the business is run. Also, the clientele is less than pleasant in terms of the tipping department, as the establishment attracts the penny-pinchers through offering two "happy hours" in one day. Most are clueless how to tip, even with a tip suggestion helper a tthe bottom of their receipts that shows a breakdown depending on their bill what 15/18 and 20 percent tip on their bill is. This sometimes makes the job hard to take seriously. Big groups no longer have an auto-gratuity applied and this causes a lot of stress for us servers, especially because it is a large portion of the overall sales for our night and many of the customers who eat here don't have a good heart or mind to tip sometimes. If customer doesn't tip appropriately it could cost us big. Also we are forced to share parties of 10 or more. This is sometimes a bogus policy also.

Advice to Management

Allow the 18% auto-gratuity added to large groups. Listen to the POSITIVE verbal reviews and feedback from customers about the servers. There are a lot of satisfied customers.

2. "It's been alright."

Current Employee - Sushi Chef in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Sushi Chef in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Kona Grill full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is little stress other than peak hours, little micromanagement due to nature of sushi.

Cons

Basically no upward movement available for any position unless you are there for decades.