Kroger - Don't Go Career unless you can get into Management | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Kroger

"Don't Go Career unless you can get into Management"

Former Employee - Grocery Clerk
Former Employee - Grocery Clerk

Pros

1) You cannot be fired unless you break the law or stop showing up
2) Flexible scheduling
3) Some opportunities to move up

Cons

1) Your incompetent co-workers cannot be fired either
2) The pay is horrendously low
3) The work is often mindless drudgery

Advice to Management

Corporate needs to get the union to agree to allow store management to fire employees who blatantly flaunt all standards or workplace productivity. The union should try and extract higher salaries in exchange for this concession.

Other Employee Reviews for Kroger

"A truly awful 7 years of my life"

Former Employee - Front End Supervisor
    Former Employee - Front End Supervisor

Pros

At least the customers at the store within which I worked were usually pleasant and cheerful. And this job was a driving motivation to finish a college degree as fast as possible.

Cons

Nearly everything involved in this job was unnecessarily terrible. Words cannot describe how incompetent the managers at my store were. Kroger is still in the dark ages. They would constantly put themselves on the pedestal and told us to support the Kroger company (ie: don't shop elsewhere) since they were the only ones with "decent wages and benefits". All the while, I knew quite well that even walmart hired workers in at a higher wage than I made after four years as a good employee and two promotions. After 7 years, I still hadn't received a single benefit and had received raises amounting to less than the increase in federal minimum wage. I was supervising the entire sales floor for 8.90, a whopping 1.50 over minimum wage. No benefits, and union dues for a union that allowed a company to pay so little, provide no benefits and keep employees "part time" at 38 hours a week almost indefinitely. It was a union that did in fact mean a lot to full timers, but to part time employees, full time seemed to be offered after a decade of service, and from what I saw, it was given to a few employees when a manager was transferred to another store or was leaving the company. Kroger shifts managers around so fast you barely learn their name before they're gone. Truly a poorly managed company that cannot justify their own high prices and has kept innovation to a minimum, except when it involves replacing service with self checkout robotics.

Advice to Management

Here today, gone tomorrow. I'd invite management to allow a store manager to stay long enough for people to feel comfortable. I dont understand trading that to make employees feel like they're on eggshells. That is a terrible way to run a company. Positivity breeds productivity, especially when employees are poorly compensated. You need to plan to run this company like its 21012, not 1972. Cashiers need bags, I don't care what studies you've done, you need to stand behind that register for a week so you can see how utterly ridiculous you look when you say cashiers must hobble to the other side to bag. Workflow doesn't work like that at all. You want that, hire more baggers. They're paid close to nothing, and you have the money. It's very odd now being in a better place, making literally eight times what I was payed at Kroger and cannot imagine an employer ever treating me the way this company did. The skewed sense of employer-employee relationship I had from being professionally abused at Kroger took years to recondition. Kroger got me at 15 years old and taught me first hand what nasty, greedy business looks like. Now that I know better and have my MBA, I analyze companies, including kroger, and it's clear they could easily stop understaffing, pay properly and lower some prices. Companies managed this way are not sustainable in this new economy. You will learn too late

"Very cheap company with poor leadership and pathetic compensation."

Current Employee - Fuel Center Manager
    Current Employee - Fuel Center Manager

Pros

-Healthcare
    -Ease of getting approved time off

Cons

-Very low pay
    -Self-absorbed senior management with personal motives
    -Employee feedback never amounts to much
    -On call 24/7 (as Fuel Center Manager)
    -Creativity is shunned

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. The people slaving away at store-level are the ones bringing in the money to pay for your high salaries. They know what they are doing, and they know how to fix problems you create. Instead of wasting money on expensive programs that always take away from productive aspects of business, how about you use that money to give back to the people who do the most for you?