Kroger - Nothing is ever good enough. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Kroger

"Nothing is ever good enough."

Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Jasper, GA
Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Jasper, GA

I have been working at Kroger part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice co-workers. If you finish your job (night shift) you can go home anytime you please. You can talk or listen to your MP3 player as long as you finish your work in time.

Cons

The pay is poor if you're not a manager. Don't expect to hear any compliments about your work. Complaining is the main problem I have with this company.

Advice to Management

Learn how to hire people when they are needed. Be nicer to your employees. Learn how to work a schedule.

Other Employee Reviews for Kroger

"It was stressful."

Former Employee - Customer Service Clerk in South Bend, IN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Clerk in South Bend, IN

I worked at Kroger part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Union, provide uniforms, provide training, somewhat flexible on scheduling. There were somewhat flexible with my school schedule but not very much.

Cons

Unrewarding, degrading, stressful, high turn over rate. I missed a lot of family events because of the job. The hours were very inconsistent and I had a hard time adjusting my sleep schedule because of it. They made me work 35 hours a week and close the store at age 18 all by myself. I felt really stressed to take over delegation of breaks and lunches and rarely had time to get my work done. I once had to operate the UScan from the customer service desk because the cashier quit on me as the store was closing for the night.

Advice to Management

It feels like all the people they hire for hourly positions are very uneducated and give the store a bad reputation. Especially with the high turn over rate, there never is really a friendly familiar face at the cash register.

"Lack of Career Advancement Opportunities"

Former Employee - Corporate Retail/Operations Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Corporate Retail/Operations Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Kroger full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The Kroger Company has a great set of benefits available for employees. This includes health, dental, vision, company match 401k, and available life and long term disability insurance. The grocery industry is a fairly stable field to work in.

Cons

First and foremost, I worked in their main corporate office and not one of the retail stores. It is very hard to advance within the company unless you are a total suck-up. Often times people are promoted based upon favoritism and/or their popularity instead of their skill sets. There are way too many levels of management. I personally reported to two different managers and one department head. The pay that they offer is pretty poor. They claim that it is competitive, but it's definitely not. Employees that have been there a long time make even less than new hires.

Advice to Management

Let your employees do their jobs without interfering or micro managing them. In many cases the employees were more in-touch and aware of what was going on. I would even say that the employees in many instances were more capable to handle and/or resolve issues than the managers. Promote those that deserve to be promoted instead of those that you simply favor.