Kroger - Unhappy with my time at Krogers | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Kroger

"Unhappy with my time at Krogers"

Former Employee - Grocery Clerk in Richmond, MI
Former Employee - Grocery Clerk in Richmond, MI

I worked at Kroger part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My 75 dollar weekly pay checks were better than nothing.. not much though

Cons

-Union
-Terrible hours
-Incompetent management
-Union
-No benefits
-Lazy co-workers
-Union

The worst part about working at Krogers is being required to join the union (I wish Michigan was a right to work state). As with most union jobs, the harder you work the more they expect out of you, yet if you're a lazy employee they expect little from you and won't fire you. They gave me 6 hour shifts so that they wouldn't have to give me any benefits. I was making bare minimum wage 7.40 an hour plus union dues, so I actually made below minimum wage, even though I had previous experience working in my field. None of the managers had any idea what they were doing. They had no idea how to schedule shifts. Some weeks I would work a total of 6 hours, other weeks i'd work 30 hours. They show no appreciation towards their (hard working) employees. I will NEVER work for a unionized company again.

Advice to Management

Learn how to do your job. Start showing your employees some appreciation.

Other Employee Reviews for Kroger

"Nothing is ever good enough."

Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Jasper, GA
    Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Jasper, GA

I have been working at Kroger part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice co-workers. If you finish your job (night shift) you can go home anytime you please. You can talk or listen to your MP3 player as long as you finish your work in time.

Cons

The pay is poor if you're not a manager. Don't expect to hear any compliments about your work. Complaining is the main problem I have with this company.

Advice to Management

Learn how to hire people when they are needed. Be nicer to your employees. Learn how to work a schedule.

"It was stressful."

Former Employee - Customer Service Clerk in South Bend, IN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Clerk in South Bend, IN

I worked at Kroger part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Union, provide uniforms, provide training, somewhat flexible on scheduling. There were somewhat flexible with my school schedule but not very much.

Cons

Unrewarding, degrading, stressful, high turn over rate. I missed a lot of family events because of the job. The hours were very inconsistent and I had a hard time adjusting my sleep schedule because of it. They made me work 35 hours a week and close the store at age 18 all by myself. I felt really stressed to take over delegation of breaks and lunches and rarely had time to get my work done. I once had to operate the UScan from the customer service desk because the cashier quit on me as the store was closing for the night.

Advice to Management

It feels like all the people they hire for hourly positions are very uneducated and give the store a bad reputation. Especially with the high turn over rate, there never is really a friendly familiar face at the cash register.