Kroger - Very long and dissappointing | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Kroger

"Very long and dissappointing"

Current Employee - Grocery Stocker in West Memphis, AR
Current Employee - Grocery Stocker in West Memphis, AR

I have been working at Kroger part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Guarenteed raises until you top out. Decent insurance benefits. Good job security.

Cons

Almost impossible to get full time. Inconvient hours during the week. Management cuts too many hours even though they always meet their budget. No help on the front end so usually everybody else in the store is responsible to make up for the slack and hardly any work gets done in the other departments, which seems counter productive. The union seems to be more of a con in this line of work when people who have more seniority do less work and still get the oppurtunities before someone else who is more hard working and better qualified.

Advice to Management

I know the customer is always first but at the store I work at in West Memphis the management does not care about their employees and hardly anyone is happy working their. The turnover rate is not very good and will probably eventually get worse to the point where it's basically like McDonalds and new people are hired every week. If the management makes their employees feel unimportant and doesn't allow them to move up in a well establised company like Kroger then Kroger can't continue to grow and make a better store/company. It is sometimes very dreadful to wake up in the morning and get ready to go to work at a place you have been with for 7 years and know it may be years, if even at all, before you get a better position. I don't want to be stock making 15,000 a year after investing this much of my life in a company. Nobody today can live a decent life off that income.

Other Employee Reviews for Kroger

"Great Company to work for"

Current Employee - DSD Receiver/Retail Sales Associate in Chesterfield, MI
    Current Employee - DSD Receiver/Retail Sales Associate in Chesterfield, MI

I have been working at Kroger part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

-Great benefits even for part time employees
    -Pay is fair
    -Employees are like family
    -Good programs like cultural council to keep employee moral up
    -Great opportunities to move up within the company

Cons

At the store level it can seem like their are too many cooks in the kitchen. With many supervisors, Co managers, and store managers; opinions and communication can ofter get construed.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and look further into the younger employees of the company cause they are the future. The more you invest in them to make there Kroger experience enjoyable, the more often you will find that you have great potential candidates for upper level management.

Also, go back through Key Retailing or "Best Practices" and make sure all employees are informed and understand what it does to help our company grow and prosper, because as of now it is just a "Best Practice" that has been giving us "Good Performance" if everyone gets on board and we, as a team, can agree on what we should be doing we will be practicing for the "Best Performance" of our customer.

2. "Not me! (That's what I said when mentioned working at kroger) But It has turned out to be a great place!"

Current Employee - Assistant Deli Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Deli Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Kroger full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent benifits,Retirment,401k plan,lot's of advancement they take the time teach everthing needed to move up fast,

Cons

Not enough praise for job well done.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your emplyees that want's and does their job.Let them know they are appreciated and noticed.Everyone wants to be acknowledged.