Kroger - It was an entry-level position that made a low but steady income. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Kroger

"It was an entry-level position that made a low but steady income."

Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Noblesville, IN
Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Noblesville, IN

I worked at Kroger part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours that were easy to switch
Consistent hours so that you never had to seriously worry about not getting enough
Competent management
Paid vacation
Fair compensation, holiday pay

Cons

Fairly monotonous tasks
Mentally draining at times
I was forced to join the union
Demanding physical labor
I found it hard to move up very much in the company

Other Employee Reviews for Kroger

"Too much asked of Store Managment and the pay is a joke..."

Current Employee - Co-Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Co-Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Kroger full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Kroger is a Fortune 500 company. That's about where it ends.

Cons

Upper management, district level up to and including executive, thinks way too highly of themselves and the company. Company has never had an original idea, let alone an original idea that works(ed). Compares itself to Publix and Walmart WAY too much. Every initiative ever rolled out has been a global FAILURE. But they company has invested way too much, spoke of it too highly, and crammed it down too many throats to take the mulligan. Also super afraid of upsetting a customer even when they are clearly in the wrong and trying to scam you. My new approach..."I don't give a darn...it's Kroger's money and Kroger's groceries! Give it to them!".

Advice to Management

RETIRE...Oh and when you do, stop hiring your friends and relatives to take over positions in which they have no experience. This company is clearly full of uneducated rednecks that have hung around long enough to get promoted. All of you are 30+ year employees....time to give it a rest and let a different generation take the helm.

"Okay, if you can start young and stay forever, not great for older workers, but it is a job."

Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Kroger full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Clean, safe work environment. It's a job, in a tough economy I appreciate just having a job.

Cons

There are no merit raises. They talk about experience pay at the interview, but either you do not get it, or for those who do it is a nickel. You will work second shift until people retire, quit or get fired. Those above you in seniority believe themselves to be your bosses, while it's not true it is annoying.