Kroger - An ok job to have while in college or high school | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Kroger

"An ok job to have while in college or high school"

Former Employee - Cashier/Bagger in Elizabethtown, KY
Former Employee - Cashier/Bagger in Elizabethtown, KY

I worked at Kroger part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, great co-wokers, union benefits, raise every 6 months, job is protected by the union, so it's fairly difficult to get fired.

Cons

Poor management, crazy work hours, working holidays, union conflicts between managers and employees. There's a lot of favoritism toward certain employees, especially the ones who were relatives or friends of the managers. Due to the union it's almost impossible to get fired, so if they no longer wanted you, they will just cut your hours down to one 4 hour day a week until you just quit. Another downfall to the union was that a lot of employees were extremely lazy as a result because they knew they wouldn't lose their job for doing absolutely nothing, so that would mean the good workers would have to work twice as hard.

Advice to Management

Stop with the favoritism and start rewarding the employees who really deserve it.

Other Employee Reviews for Kroger

"Challenging satisfying long term employment"

Current Employee - Accounting Manager in Hutchinson, KS
    Current Employee - Accounting Manager in Hutchinson, KS

I have been working at Kroger full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have worked at Kroger for almost 10 years and have found it to be very satisying and challenging. I feel I have been rewarded well for what I have been able to accomplish.

Cons

The work hours can be long with minimal staff support and high expectations of output. There is ongoing pressure to do more with the same or less staff.

Advice to Management

Try to ensure the work/life balance is maintained for all employees, and those who put in the time and perform above average are fairly rewarded

2. "Pretty good"

Current Employee - Cashier in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Cashier in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Kroger part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Paid weekly, great benefits, employee discount, flexible schedule; good work environment, great people to work with, great products in the storre

Cons

Not enough hours unless you're full time; break time could stand to be longer; employee discount could be higher;

Advice to Management

Provide more hours for cashiers