Kroger - Four years as a Front End Manager | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Kroger

"Four years as a Front End Manager"

Current Employee - Front End Manager in Phoenix, AZ
Current Employee - Front End Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Kroger full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overall, good work environment. Lots of opportunity for advancement. Kroger provides a lot of training to develop their associates.

Cons

As with most companies Kroger watches labor very closely. I think that too often Kroger does not allow for enough labor to provide World Class customer service that our customers deserve.

Advice to Management

Trust that lower management will run shifts with the best financial interests in the company. Labor hours each day are cut to a bare minimum each day to take care of customers. Then there are the inevitable call outs experienced each day. I think that there should always be a slight "cushion" built into the labor budget, especially for holidays, to ensure there is always adequate coverage.

Other Employee Reviews for Kroger

1. "Not bad for a first job."

Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Houston, TX

I worked at Kroger part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Clean, friendly environment. The job expectations are pretty low, and if you're a high-school student or a middle-aged woman you'll fit right in.

Cons

You work for uneducated simpletons - they're nice, but simple. The pay is minimum wage, which is expected from this kind of job. Just because it's expected doesn't make it agreeable.

Advice to Management

Promote people with drive, not people who seem like they'll just "be at Kroger's forever."

2. "It's okay, nothing great."

Current Employee - Cashier, Courtesy Clerk, U-Scan Attendant in Anderson, OH
    Current Employee - Cashier, Courtesy Clerk, U-Scan Attendant in Anderson, OH

I have been working at Kroger part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work is relatively easy to perform, and you never have to take your job home with you. My coworkers are great, so I enjoy being at work because of them.

Cons

Union dues take a good chunk of your paycheck, and unless you have a strict availability, your hours may not be very consistent. the work is also mind-numbingly boring, at least self-checkout and below. It's all manual labor and memorization, no critical thinking.