Kroger - It wasn't EXTRAORDINAIRY, but it was not terrible either. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Kroger

"It wasn't EXTRAORDINAIRY, but it was not terrible either."

Former Employee - Cashier
Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Kroger part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

+ sales associates were cool and hard working and very kind
+ the managers were good at motivating us
+ they hire people with little to no experience
+ it's a paycheck

Cons

+ management was a bit too demanding as far as the way they feel you should behave on the job when you're only getting paid minimum wage smh
+ they treat you like you're expendable, which I guess you are, but they will let you go by cutting your hours and then "letting you go" mysteriously without explanation
+ one of my managers was very rude and disrespectful
+ they either give you too many hours or too little

Other Employee Reviews for Kroger

1. "Management by Avoidance"

I have been working at Kroger part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours if you can get your scheduler to work with you.

Cons

VERY low pay (not much more than minimum), extreme demands/responsibilities for pay. ALSO management needs to learn to COMMUNICATE. Rather than addressing situations that they feel could become uncomfortable they completely avoid the situation.

Advice to Management

TALK TO YOUR EMPLOYEES. ASK THEM FOR SUGGESTIONS. ASK THEM WHAT THEY THINK COULD HELP THEIR JOB BE BETTER FOR THEM AND HOW COULD THEIR WANTS BENEFIT THE COMPANY.

Don't have the office cronies ask what appear to be casual questions about what an employee wants in their job and then eves drop and assume that's all the conversation there is or should be. Be mature in your management attitudes and learn to talk to people. You might not always like what they say, but you will have happier employees and you might just get some helpful information from them.

And don't forget, while you're TALKING to LISTEN. And listen sincerely. Many employees (like me) welcome the chance to provide feedback and offer what we feel are helpful suggestions. HOWEVER, if we get no response or the suggestions are taken and there is no recognition (verbal or otherwise) given for the suggestion being successful we get rather disheartened and basically give up on the job.

There is a wealth of retirees you could be using for part-time work. Often times these retirees have benefits but just want a little extra cash in their pockets. You could quite easily take advantage of that IF YOU WOULD STOP TREATING MATURE WORKERS LIKE HIGH SCHOOLERS.

Finally, don't assume that any new hire has ever worked in this type of retail environment and understands the way your company works. Have a very brief handbook ready ALWAYS to hand to a new hire that outlines basic employee responsibilities (dress code, minimum hours requirements, customer service attitudes, etc.), benefits (if any or the opportunity to obtain any), payroll details (how often they are paid), etc.

2. "Good if you like confusing hours"

Pros

great benefits, great pay, management was ok most of the time, work pretty much all by yourself all day

Cons

no breaks, sometimes not 40 hours, had seperated days off (wed. and sat.) no set lunch time if you were even there for lunch.

Advice to Management

stop trying to make employees move to fast throughout the job it is unsafe and cause very bad work conditions.