Kroger - Got me through college. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Kroger

"Got me through college."

Current Employee - Deli Clerk
Current Employee - Deli Clerk

I have been working at Kroger part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefit package (health insurance, paid vacations, 401K).
Flexible scheduling.

Cons

Pay is not a living wage.
Must work all holidays and weekends.
Management focuses on corporate goals rather than employee needs.

Advice to Management

When I first started with the Kroger Company 'Our People are Great' was the motto. Since then, the focus has changed to corporate growth and the customer is always right. Employee needs are no longer a focus within this company.

Other Employee Reviews for Kroger

1. "It's been a great experience with great people, but it's time to move on."

Current Employee - Drug GM Manager
    Current Employee - Drug GM Manager

I have been working at Kroger full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Kroger is a good company to work for. There is definitely job security here and the employees are really nice and everyone gets along very well.

Cons

Low pay, at any level the pay doesn't compare to the competition. There is also a lack of structure. There are procedures and standards that every store has to adhere to, but at store level, every store is its own animal and while you may enjoy working at one store, another store might be complete misery. Employees get away with ALOT at kroger. HUUUUGE lack of discipline.

Advice to Management

If you paid your employees more money, employees would take the job a little more seriously.

2. "Great first job or student job."

Former Employee - File Clerk in Lambertville, MI
    Former Employee - File Clerk in Lambertville, MI

I worked at Kroger part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked at the same store for about 6 years and was a courtesy clerk, file clerk, fuel center manager, fuel clerk, and a cashier during my time. Most departments allowed for flexible schedules and hours, especially if you were a student. For a first job, or student job, it was good pay with the flexibility of the schedule.

They have also made great strides in listening to the employees thoughts and opinions at the store level with their new feedback system.

Cons

In my "lower management" positions it was frustrating to implement or work with the directives and requests of upper management (outside the store) that didn't understand how things really operated on a daily basis at store level and the uniqueness of a store based on the community it was located in.

Advice to Management

Focus on gathering information from your employees and not just implementing changes because they look good on paper.