Kroger - Okay experience, but my location doesn't care much about their employees. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Kroger

"Okay experience, but my location doesn't care much about their employees."

Current Employee - Cashier in Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Cashier in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Kroger part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice part time hours and you get a lot of experience dealing with people. And nice place for career advancement. I always shop here and love the stores.

Cons

The pay sucks. Five cents above min. wage. When they want you to work, you must work. You're not a human, you're a robot. Even if you're a part-time employee, they don't care if you have a second job, Kroger wants you there when they want you there or they're ready to fire you. They always stress that the customer is so important. If the mgr at my store cared so much about his customers, he'd give his cashiers enough courtesy clerks to help out with customers who have a lot of items. I have to leave my customer standing there while I start bagging tons of groceries and it slows down the process of getting customers in and out of the store.

Advice to Management

Hire better managers who know how to schedule people properly. And they fired this new girl because she wanted to go to her closest cousin's college graduation on a Saturday, she had already told our front end supervisor in time. He didn't care and said she must be at work anyway. So the store mgr told her either she shows up or he's firing her. She chose to go to her cousin's college graduation. It's not like she was going to a piano recital. It was important. But they do that to a lot of employees and they threaten you with firing if you don't do what they want when they want. It's just a $7.30/hr check anyway.

Other Employee Reviews for Kroger

1. "Okay Starter Job"

Former Employee - Produce Clerk
    Former Employee - Produce Clerk

I worked at Kroger part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Discounts on Products, Working With Customers, Helping People

Cons

Horrible Management, Minimum Wage, Bad Work Schedules

"Unappreciated employee still fighting the "Good ol Boys" club."

Current Employee - Co-Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Co-Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Kroger full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You gain instant recognition from the outside public while learning to manage others in addition to millions in products as well.

Cons

The Store Managers can make or break your career! If they don't like you for whatever reason you will not succeed because they won't teach you....only blame you for all that goes wrong!

Advice to Management

Find some type of checks and balances to end the racial injustice that comes with being a minority in store management dominated by Store Managers who only want white males to move up!