Kroger - Giant machine | Glassdoor

"Giant machine"

Current Employee - Grocery Checker in Portland, OR
Current Employee - Grocery Checker in Portland, OR

I have been working at Kroger full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

No pros for Kroger. They do not pay their employee's much money.

Cons

Close your stores at night.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more.
Give better benefits

Other Employee Reviews for Kroger

1. "Could do worse"

Former Employee - Meat Clerk in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - Meat Clerk in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at Kroger part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-The coworkers are friendly and I didn't have any complaints with them.
    -There is a culture among the front line workers that makes jumping in fairly easy and enjoyable
    -The perks of cheaper food made it nice to work there while going to school.

Cons

-There isn't really opportunity for advancement for anyone that doesn't want to sell their soul to the Kroger brand. As someone who worked two jobs and attended school I was basically told to quit the other job and end school (graduate or leave) so that I could devote myself fully.
    -Managers don't respect the workers drive and when a motivated employee comes they become a pack mule of burden.
    -Hours fluctuated so much at my location it was impossible to consider it a primary job.

Advice to Management

Embrace the enthusiastic employees. Don't bury them with a laughably unbalanced work load to the rest of the team.

2. "I enjoyed my experience working here with many pros and few cons as a pharmacy technician"

Former Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at Kroger full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My health insurance choices and benefits were very good. The management in the pharmacy was very easy to work with and communicate with. The upper store management is also very accessible. They also offer tuition reimbursement. The company policies are very customer-first oriented so the company definitely cares about their customers and tries to cater to them as much as possible.

Cons

Work/life balance is tough because I had to work a different schedule every day/week. No clear path of promotions if you start as a pharmacy technician. When the company creates new procedural policies they don't ask the opinion of the workers who have to implement these policies on a daily basis for their advice, and so the policies sometimes create more inefficiencies in the business and put more undue stress on the workers (speaking about pharmacy dept).

Advice to Management

There doesn't seem to any promotion opportunities in the pharmacy department and so after 3+ years as a technician there is no more employee incentive. Also consult the opinion of the actual employees in the pharmacy department more often before implementing new policies or procedural changes because sometimes these changes create more inefficiencies and stress instead of positive results and this in-turn affects customer service.