L-3 Communications - Good place to work, despite some shortcomings. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for L-3 Communications

"Good place to work, despite some shortcomings."

Former Employee - Network Engineer in Shrewsbury, NJ
Former Employee - Network Engineer in Shrewsbury, NJ

I worked at L-3 Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Better than average salaries, good benefits, good work environment. There are good career advancement opportunities depending on a project. Well structured work environment with a focus on the process and accountability. Big on CMMI.

Cons

A a government contractor, company is somewhat stingy in spending their own money for the comfort of the employees. There is always a chance of layoffs if the company loses a contract. However the company will usually try to shift employees to a different project if that case.

Advice to Management

Better communication with employees and transparency about the future plans and prospects.

Other Employee Reviews for L-3 Communications

"My experience was very positive, my supervisor was excellent, pay was excellent."

Former Employee - Technical Writer in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Technical Writer in Reston, VA

I worked at L-3 Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Until 2011 business turned (Lost big Federal contracts, proposal writing workload was impacted) this was one of the best large corporations I had worked for.
    Employees were rewarded for hard work, L-3 promoted a work-life balance philosophy which was demonstrated for those with family needs. We received some comp time and bonuses for demanding workload and efforts when preparing to submit a proposal. Team effort was the name of the game and everyone pitched in to help when deadlines approached.
    Good health benefits.

Cons

In 2010, corporate (in New York) decided to pursue more bids for Federal contracts. This workload stretched us and most writers and managers worked an average of 60 hours a week. We lost many longstanding, large contracts because our focus was on new business and the quality of our work suffered. We did not win many recompetes. We did not win new business, Lay offs began as there was at approximately half the work required compared to previous years. Morale suffered and there were obviously no bonuses even though we were working harder and longer hours.

Advice to Management

For Corporate: Becoming over ambitious is a great risk and you loose dedicated professionals as a result.

"Put in your time, then head to the house"

Current Employee - Production Support in Greenville, TX
    Current Employee - Production Support in Greenville, TX

I have been working at L-3 Communications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Stead work, good pay for the area, great benefits;

Cons

Live and die by the process unless someone whines, screams, or goes over budget. Biggest problem for many is the divide between hourly and salaried workers. The term 'hourly' is applied as a slur of the type that wouldn't be used on T.V. Communication between the top and bottom is non-existent it seems to stop somewhere above 2nd level management.

Advice to Management

Stop moving your team leads and managers. Leave them in place long enough to learn how to do the job, then give them the opportunity to do that job, or leave. Give job titles that make sense.