L-3 Communications - L-3 is a Great Company to work. It is a world leader in many industries. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for L-3 Communications

"L-3 is a Great Company to work. It is a world leader in many industries."

Former Employee - Contract Manager in Hauppauge, NY
Former Employee - Contract Manager in Hauppauge, NY

I worked at L-3 Communications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities to learn and apply your experience.

Cons

It's a large company so that may be a concern for some but hard work will get you noticed.

Advice to Management

Continue to value the contributions by employees who really do care.

Other Employee Reviews for L-3 Communications

"Good for some Not for All"

Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Greenville, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Greenville, TX

I have been working at L-3 Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pretty good work environment (2 fold)
    Somewhat flexable work schedule
    Knowledgable developers
    Team based company
    Goal orriented company

Cons

If you like the defense industry then this is the perfect place for you and you will thrive here.

If you don't like the defense industry then stay far away from here.

The company needs to diversify. I've herd chatter of non-government contracts that were not acquired because the heads only want to do government work but with sequestration rampid I think it would be a good idea to diversify if the company doesn't want to take any financial impact.

They are also very policy hungry. They are making new rules for everything making your job 10 times harder. If you like to program and dislike paper work then here is not for you. Due to new company policy and new government regulations you have to do 4 hrs of paper work for every 10 hours of real work. It is so built into the culture that the saying they use for it is "Let's just check the box". Even if the meaning of checking the box is useless. This is the reason multiple employees are looking for jobs elsewhere.

"Some good, some bad"

Former Employee - Hardware Engineer I in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Hardware Engineer I in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at L-3 Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting and unique projects that are very different from other companies. Some of the people that work there are very nice cool people with high ethical morals.

Cons

Creativity is crushed by government contract oversight and old technology. Most of the engineering done at this company is trying to get new technology to work with all the old technology that this company insists on using. Engineers are forced to be creative just to get things to work. Real innovation doesn't appear to exist here. The company doesn't appear to really care about the people. Engineering management is powerless against the human resources department that insists on making hell for everyone.

Advice to Management

Allow more creativity. Don't pretend to do research when you don't. Treat employees as valuable assets, not monkeys.