L'Occitane - Unprofessional and Unpleasant | Glassdoor

"Unprofessional and Unpleasant"

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in New York, NY
Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at L'Occitane part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The hourly pay was decent.

Cons

This company is incredibly unprofessional when it comes to the workplace. I worked in a small boutique and I would have to open/close by myself. There were days where I was alone for hours. I felt unsafe because we only had fake cameras and no security.
There is also unfair responsibility for employees depending on which store they work in. For example, at the small boutique where I was located as a part-time employee I was expected to open/close, clean, change windows, shipment, operational, and then sell. In a large or flagship store, a part-timer does not have all of those responsibilities. L'Occitane really needs to redesign how they organize their stores.
The biggest disappointment was that after all I had given into the business as a part-timer in a small boutique, they decided to move me to a flagship store and cut my hours from 18-20 hours a week to 6 hours a week. I was incredibly upset because it was insulting and rude. Plus, no upper management even gave me a reason why they were moving me and cutting my hours. I also noticed that many other part timers were moved around and some got more hours then me. I found this to be extremely unfair treatment.
Another problem with this company is that they do not educate their employees whatsoever on their rights. There are no safety, HR, or any sort of trainings except for product knowledge. They want their employees to feel powerless and instead play a political game to be kept on the DM's favorite list.
Lastly, L'Occitane needs to learn that the people they hire is not be taken lightly. They hired people by posting an ad on craig's list for a job fair (you could only imagine the type of crowd that brought). I've worked with many unprofessional employees and under qualified managers. It's a shame because L'Occitane is now a place of gossip and cut throat competition between stores and it creates a horrible atmosphere and place to work.

Advice to Management

Learn how to hire good people, keep them happy and retain them. Stop hiring incompetent managers.

Other Employee Reviews for L'Occitane

"No Growth, Low Pay, Monkey Work"

Former Employee - Staff Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Staff Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at L'Occitane full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice Products
    Nice Discounts
    Nice Brand
    Beautiful stores
    Good for Marketing Internship with low wage but will likely not hire you
    Corporate Office in Times Square

Cons

Horrible pay (contracted hourly pay if not managing position)
    Terrible bonus structure for those non-VP titles (communicated falsely in offer letter)
    Robotic administrative work very boring; jobs too specialized
    No visibility in regards to office changes and structural changes
    Snooty Upper Management (especially some of the women there sheesh)
    Seriously No Room for Growth even though management will say otherwise
    Too much micromanagement here as well
    False advertisements on job positions listed as senior positions or coordinators (even though really not)

Advice to Management

Learn to be humble, lose your egos, and stop telling employees there's room for growth when there really isn't. Why have over 30+ ppl left the company in the past year? Because there is NO growth.

"Great products, great customers, awful leadership"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Keyholder in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Keyholder in Seattle, WA

I worked at L'Occitane part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The biggest perk? AMAZING employee discount (40%) and free products with every new promotion. I have so much product from L'Occitane now. I felt really good about selling it to my customers, because they really are high quality, gentle, and made from natural products. They even give a portion of their shea sales to the women of Burkina Faso. The company has a great mission.

Cons

THAT being said, it seems like the great ideas end in France, and get completely corrupted once they hit the United States. This winter our city had a cold snap that was much lower than we are used to. I worked in the only outdoor mall in the state, and we were required to have our doors open in below freezing weather. We couldn't keep it warm in the store, but our district manager said that we couldn't wear coats unless they were black wool dress coats (which we had to buy ourselves) and that we couldn't close the door.

Upper management did not respond to safety concerns regarding our door lock malfunctioning, our safe not locking, or our store being dangerously cold to work in.

When we could not make sales plan during the coldest week on record for my city since the 1980s, we had our hours drastically cut. I went from 15 guaranteed hours per week to 4 hours every other week. That's when I put in my notice to quit. I was terminated without seeing or signing paperwork, so I am not sure to this day if my severance paperwork says that I was fired, or that I left.

They also didn't follow my city's PTO law, and never gave me my mandated sick leave after I became ill from working in a building that was less than 40 degrees for several shifts.

Advice to Management

Put your employees first, and your profits will follow. When your employees are in physical distress from your company policies on keeping your doors open, when you have to have customers call your corporate office to complain about how cold it is in the store, THAT is a serious issue. Telling your employees to "take customers to the warmer part of the store" which is less than 750 sq ft, does not help the customers who need to purchase something in the front of the store, or who want a reprieve from the bitter cold.