KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good, not great

Jun 30, 2022 - Associate Software Engineer in Clifton, NJ
    Business Outlook

Pros

9/80 work schedule so every other Friday off flexible work hours the average employee is very kind some incredibly smart people who can teach you a lot Low stress environment I never had to work past like 6pm or on a weekend Unlimited PTO and sick time Lots of freedom Processes and work flow are well organized They do not fire full time engineers- you have to be doing a truly awful awful terrible job to get fired (this could be seen as a con too)

Cons

Though I would say they have relatively low expectations, the content of the work is challenging. This would be exciting and fun if they taught you to understand it, but there is absolutely no technical training. As a new college graduate, I was just given a task and expected to know how to do every part of the process immediately. Eventually I figured it out, but the first six months were scary and hard. They could REALLY benefit from more teaching about aerospace and defense engineering to those early in their careers. Extremely slow growth. It took the average new college grad 2.5-3 years to get their first promotion, which was only about a 7% raise. Otherwise you're lucky to get 2% per year No praise for good work- it goes completely unnoticed. Typically your manager is not on your project so they have no idea how well you're actually doing so they can't see any good work you may be doing I felt like there were some iffy moments for me as woman. Men told me I was too weak to lift the heavy equipment (I am not a small lady), but said nothing to twig armed men lifting it. Despite performance reviews saying I was "incredible" and exceeding expectations, I did not ever receive a promotion but watched several mediocre men get promoted. Always had to be the one to take notes during meetings (1 week after I had put in my two weeks, I was invited to a very important meeting and told I was only there to take notes and send them to my male boss). Always had to be the one to take on non-technical intern-type work (I was not even close to the most junior person on the team- we had several interns). Always the only girl in the room. Pay is pretty mediocre. Got a 40% raise by leaving Really distant management - didn't meet my manager until I had put my 2 weeks in and he was begging me to stay It feels like 95% of the company is old white guys. That's probably an exaggeration but they are definitely the ones with all of the power and it shows in the culture. Regularly overheard anti-asian, anti-black, anti-immigrant, anti-vax, anti-mask conversations (which I did report anonymously to HR so idk what happened) Everything is 10 years behind. Still using skype, coding primarily in C++ 98 (the year I was born), visual studio 2015

Continue reading
    1 person found this review helpful
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work

Aug 10, 2022 - Associate Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great work life balance. 9/80 and 4/10 schedules available, remote work. No set schedule and you get paid for your time over 40hrs because you are paid hourly. Unlimited sick leave, 4-week parental leave, 4 weeks vacation but you can get more with your manager's manager's approval. You can work around important events like recitals to avoid using PTO i.e. leave work 2 hours early and work an extra 30min the other days. You can find work related to what you want to do with your career in the future.

Cons

Directly tied to the Pros that come with getting paid by the hour is the fact that you are paid by the hour. You have to keep track of how you spend your time accurate to the tenth of an hour and attribute it to a program/project you are working on. These programs have budgets and if they are running out they will stop work and you can't get paid for working on them. You have to be on top of making sure you actually have work to do. Notifying your manager of potential breaks in work etc.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 4.0
    Current Employee

Exciting projects, Important work.

Aug 9, 2022 - Senior Procurement Specialist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flex time, vacation, benefits, Exciting projects

Cons

Hard to move up. Low pay raises, conflicting goals.

Be the first to find this review helpful

Discover more reviews about L3Harris.

L3Harris Photos