LA Fitness - My previous employer was acquired by LA and it has been hectic and stressful but rewarding. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for LA Fitness

"My previous employer was acquired by LA and it has been hectic and stressful but rewarding."

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Saint Clair Shores, MI
Current Employee - Operations Manager in Saint Clair Shores, MI

I have been working at LA Fitness full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The best reason to work in Operations at LA Fitness is the pay. For their education and experience expectations the pay is great! Also building relationships with members is always fulfilling. Last, would be the experience, the responsibilities prepare you for an impressive resume.

Cons

The amount of stress is enormous. Running a business to someone else's expectations is difficult as well as ever changing expectations and measurable metrics.

Advice to Management

I would say to solidify standards. For example, with member issues there should be a standard of handling things as opposed to the member knowing it all depends on who they talk to.

Other Employee Reviews for LA Fitness

1. "I wish they never bought our Bally Total Fitness club."

Former Employee - Front Desk Receptionist in Huntington Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Front Desk Receptionist in Huntington Beach, CA

I worked at LA Fitness full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free access to all gyms
    Commission based pay
    Front Desk staff does not have to worry about being fired due to not exceeding quota
    Having the ability to sell memberships

Cons

Bad hours
    Not earning enough based off of the effort you put in
    Poor management
    Dangerous work environment
    Limiting EFT hours going towards front desk staff
    EFT staff needing to exceed quota to earn any form of commission

Advice to Management

Show that you care for your employees. The employee turnover rate is ridiculous. A very helpful thing would be to actually check up on your OMs to make sure they are competent enough for their job. Put the friendliness aside and actually make sure that OMs are doing their job. Another helpful thing would be to have a nonbiased customer service. It makes no sense to have OMs be the customer service when they themselves are the ones who are going to have the most complaints. Treat every complaint as a legitimate one. Actually verify any wrongdoing before letting staff go.

"Most unethical company I have ever worked for"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at LA Fitness full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Operations Managers do not have to work weekends

Cons

When you are hired, you are not given all the information about the position. The company wants you to be brainwashed into thinking their way. You are managing staff that you do not work with. You are working the desk all day while answering phones, calling bad accounts, ordering and maintaining supplies, writing schedules, and having conference calls. You have a lunch which is supposed to be from 1pm to 2pm but only if the sales team covers the desk for you. My boss told me to walk around and steal employees on my unpaid lunch period in a bad neighborhood. You are micro managed to the point that you have to ask to sneeze. You are paid and hourly rate plus commission on clearing accounts but are decommisioned if the customer falls deliquent again.

Advice to Management

Learn how to respect and value your employees.