LA Fitness - Sick Culture Steals Your Soul | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for LA Fitness

"Sick Culture Steals Your Soul"

Current Employee - Sales Counselor in Portland, OR
Current Employee - Sales Counselor in Portland, OR

I have been working at LA Fitness full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

To learn the worst of the fitness business culture and old school sales management and know what to look for when you leave.

Cons

Club (sales) managers do not manage. Control is dictated from the district manager and Regional manager. Old school management of fear and intimidation. Always threatening to demote and fire - which they do every 2-weeks. Typical equity partner type business where people are expendable.

Advice to Management

Understand you will implode at some point if you do not begin to understand your people are your greatest asset not an inconvenience in doing business. It appears the company is growing to be sold which explains the frenetic management style.

Other Employee Reviews for LA Fitness

"Weekend General Manager"

Former Employee - Weekend General Manager in City of Industry, CA
    Former Employee - Weekend General Manager in City of Industry, CA

I worked at LA Fitness full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great experience if you love hard-closing people and selling in a fast-paced environment.

Cons

The hours are real demanding and can make you feel like you live to work unless you know how to work the system and go home right after you hit your budget. The base pay is a joke.

Advice to Management

Pay out more base to your management so you can have/retain quality individuals.

2. "Given a Management title, but no authority to make a decisions beneficial to club/members"

Current Employee - Aerobics Coordinator/Instructor
    Current Employee - Aerobics Coordinator/Instructor

I have been working at LA Fitness part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice facility. Nice coworkers. Free membership to gym (which I have no time to use because I am always at work)

Cons

Inability to make any decisions for my clubs. Upper management doesn't respond to calls, emails or messages left. Things that I could take care of quickly take weeks because upper management has to have ultimate control.
    Crappy licensed music that we are required to use to teach classes. Music doesn't get frequently updated. When microphones or stereo systems are broken it takes weeks for them to get fixed, again because upper management does not respond in a timely manner.
    Upper management has "their way of doing things" that is rigid and ignores the needs of sites and ignores the requests of members.
    In the months that I have been here, they just keep adding the new clubs onto my responsibilities with no talk of a raise. Frequently I get frantic return phone calls during the last 5 minutes of my shift with demands to do things that keep me at work for an extra hour, with no compensation!!! They even rejected my request for reimbursement for mileage that I tracked going from club to club performing management duties.

Advice to Management

Relinquish some control to the managers to do what is best for their site