LRN - In a word, hypocrisy | Glassdoor

"In a word, hypocrisy"

Former Employee - Performer
Former Employee - Performer

Pros

LRN pulls in some great people who you can learn from as long as they stick around. And the offices are nice and in good locations. When you join, the whole setup seems very promising.

Cons

This business is the CEO's vanity experiment at trying to make him appear to be a business guru. But the history of the company is one of strategy-of-the-month, management saying one thing and doing another, excrutiatingly long decision making, disillusioned employees, revolving door management, worthless stock options, rampid turnover--and then the cycle repeats itself with a new crop of employees, all pumped up thinking they just joined the Next Big Thing. Wish it were different. I heard critical things about the company before joining, but I joined anyway, It all came true.

Advice to Management

I would say hire some professional management, but that's been tried before several times and they all left or were pushed out. Perhaps get the CEO to write a new book so he'll be distracted so the rest of management can make some internal progress.

Other Employee Reviews for LRN

"Good place to work if you can accept that the "HOW approach" is talked about but not actually actioned"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Pros

very talented colleagues, great mission and philosophy, flexibel working hours, few layers of management, interesting products and clients

Cons

compensation is not great, too many "How" discussion and activities, very slow decision making, EC is not accountable, refocus on clients, hiring process is too long.

Advice to Management

LRN should focus more on partners and not on LRN. Too much time is wasted on internal projects. Improve decision making progress and hiring process.

"Aspirational firm with many opportunities/challenges depending on your point of view"

Current Employee - Engagement Executive
    Current Employee - Engagement Executive

Pros

LRN is at it's core an aspirational company. People are drawn to the mission of helping people around the world do the right thing. When we live these values and do what we say we can do, it is a beautiful place to be. Our partners recognize it, coworkers will praise one another for it and we know that we make a difference.

The firm hires individuals who are passionate, interesting, far from cookie cutter and smart. I also meet people who are dedicated to making a difference and are humble about their credentials.

I find myself constantly challenged with situations that are ambigous, that require immediate attention (and handling with care) and requiring smarts/heart/and conviction to solve. On my best of days here, I find myself rising to the challenge. On my toughest days, I feel frustrated. But I always remember two things: there is someone at LRN who can fix this and I can always come back tomorrow for another round of battle.

Cons

Because we are an aspirational company, changes sometimes get made quickly. These decisions can be challenging for colleagues to absorb without context of why we are making these changes and what we hope to accomplish. Sometimes a simple conversation can go a long way.

We sometimes communicate with the wrong medium. Email is a popular medium of communication here and sometimes we forget that walking over to someone's cube can easily solve what 5 emails can't.

We deal with philosophy, ethics and complex ideas. Sometimes HOW you say something is just as important as WHAT you say. Whereas in most companies this may not be an issue, at LRN understanding your audience and how to communicate with them can make the difference between having your point be heard or not.

Advice to Management

People that work at LRN are passionate, driven and eager to see this company become what it aspires to be. We need to continue to build on our environment to allow all colleagues to feel safe in saying what they need to (even when HOW they say it is not perfect).

I think the market place is starting to notice that we made changes and strides from where we were last year. I would love to see us stay on course by continuing to speak our truth, focus on removing barriers to our success and spending our time on creating strategies/processes and opportunities for us to grow. There is a lot of creativity and passion waiting to unleash some great ideas here.

You have started making the right changes (e.g. performance review process was great, unlimited vacation and sharing more information). Please continue to do so. Trust will build with more of your actions.