La Fiesta Restaurant - Don't work here as a Dishwasher | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for La Fiesta Restaurant

"Don't work here as a Dishwasher"

Former Employee - Dishwasher in Erie, MI
Former Employee - Dishwasher in Erie, MI

Pros

-Staff was Nice
-They will Accommodate hours, so if you have school or something, they will work with you.
-Free Drinks ONLY, Not food or anything else.

Cons

There are alot of downsides.

Lazy Co-Workers
For starters. The 2 people I worked with, either texted all day long, or ate food all day long. This means their side would get backed up. I would get yelled at for this, even-though my side was all good. I would have to drop whatever I was doing to help them. While I would be doing their side, my side would get backed up. After I got done helping them, they would leave for break, leaving me to do the mountain of dishes on my side. After I got mostly caught up, they would come back and text or eat, thus making their side backed up again. So again, I would have to stop working on my side and help them. I was the one that came in later, so they got to leave early, and boy, did they leave early. Even-though they still had alot of dishes to do, they would break down their side, and add the dishes they didn't do, to my side and left. The place closes at 11PM, but I would have to stay their until 2am. After doing the dishes, I would have to break down my side, sweep and mop the place, and then I could leave.

Extra Work.
Each day had a Dishwasher duty, which meant extra work, but most of these couldn't be done, because work was steady. I don't know why the day crew couldn't do these, since the place is dead until 5pm. Regardless, each day we would have to clean something extra, like the trash can (which was terrible smelling), clean the vents over the stove, clean the shelves, and clean the drains. This work wasn't quick either and easily took an hour and a half to do.

Breaks
They are only about 10 minutes, but I guess nobody cared since most people took half an hour breaks.

Dumb Rules
Before I was laid off, there seemed to be a plethora (alot) of dumb new rules, due to the other lazy dishwashers. One of the new rules was nobody could help the dishwashers. This was in thanks to the other dishwashers talking alot. So when the Dishwashers were behind and the staff had nothing to do, all they could do was watch us fall even more behind. If someone did help, they would get written up and have some money taken out of their paycheck.

Wages
When I joined the crew I was 18. In the 1st few months, you get "Training" pay, which is bull, since they more or less told me to figure it out. Sure I had the other dishwasher, but they generally weren't that much help. After the training pay, I was suppose to get minimum wage, but I didn't. For months I was being paid below that, because they thought I put 15 instead of 18, likely story, since my 8s and 5s look nothing alike. People under the age of 16 I believe, get paid below minimum wage. I had no idea, until one of the co-workers looked at my check, and said there had to be a mistake. I told the manager this, and he gave me back pay. Then next week when I was suppose to get a normal paycheck, but I was laid off "randomly" even though I was the only one who did work there.

Advice to Management

They should manage the kitchen area more, rather than staying in their offices or talking to the waitress. When the dishwasher were backed up, it would have been nice if other staff members could help. Atleast on holidays and the weekend. Plus they knew said person texted all day, but they did nothing about it.

Other Employee Reviews for La Fiesta Restaurant

1. "Excellant genuine family resteraunt"

I worked at La Fiesta Restaurant part-time

Pros

Fernando and Mia are very good to work for. They have a very excellant food .the atmosphere is lovely. The customers are always smiling at the dining experience they love. Great tips. Family owned.

Cons

Split shifts and hot summer make you sweat

Advice to Management

To keep up on the great job....

2. "Worst Management Ever."

Former Employee - Server/Waiter in Erie, MI
    Former Employee - Server/Waiter in Erie, MI

I worked at La Fiesta Restaurant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Incredible tips, allowed to take as many tables as you can handle (typically given 5-7 at a time.)
    One of the old Managers & Co-Owners (Clyde) left recently, but he was one of the best managers I've had in my entire life.

Cons

Fairly unsanitary practices. Wendy's was eons ahead of La Fiesta on cleanliness, maintenance, food preparation, hygiene, regular practices. Lupe (One of the Co-Owners) used to take drastic measures to save every penny. She would often complain about needing to do so because she couldn't afford her $60,000 GMC.
    Those included:
    *Using the same (DISPOSABLE) towels for every single cleaning purpose you can think of until it started falling apart and "Smelling too bad". Very gross. Told me she'd send me home if I tried to use a new towel or ones for different jobs. I had to comply.
    *Not requiring (or at least enforcing) gloves or hair nets in the kitchen.
    *Improper food prep to avoid illness or allergies
    *Servers make salads for customers with hands if too busy
    *Broken hand sanitizing stations and broken hand washing stations

Lupe was so cheap. We had to buy every piece of our uniforms throughout on our own. I never had that experience serving anywhere else.

She was belligerent. Everyone knew to keep your eyes away from her and avoid at all costs, She would fight and scream to the point our customers would worry about us or complain. She never listened.
    She cannot be criticized or offered any advice on anything. It's her way or the highway, and that's why business has fallen nearly 20% since I left (2 friends still work there) and why turnover is so incredibly high. She'll work you to the bone with menial tasks she should be doing or hiring someone to do and threaten your employment if you don't comply.

I could go on for hours, but really it was one of the best groups of people and worst management I've ever worked with.

Advice to Management

You should listen to your employees criticisms and concerns. Not everything has to be a fight, you could be wrong,