Labatt Food Service - This place is more like a cult than a company | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Labatt Food Service

"This place is more like a cult than a company"

Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Lubbock, TX
Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Lubbock, TX

I have been working at Labatt Food Service full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Fellow drivers are cool.
-Pay is ok but you work your life away for it

Cons

-No vacation first years
-13+ hours a day starting at two in the morning
-If your hired for a certain spot dont expect to move up, they promote outside the company
-management is hard to talk too they are all about themselves
- if you get hurt they will treat you like complete crap and try to screw you over

Advice to Management

Get over yourselves your not gods gift to the world.

Other Employee Reviews for Labatt Food Service

"Labatt is the Complete Package"

Current Employee - Software Development in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Software Development in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Labatt Food Service full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1. Career Opportunities: The opportunities for advancement are unlimited. In many departments there is no strict progressional ladder of advancement. Some may view this as a disadvantage, but it works very well for those who prefer to be rewarded fairly according to their talent and effort. While I tend to dislike the use of clichés, it is very true that birds of a feather flock together. That observation can be made about successful employees at Labatt. Those who are successful at Labatt tend to stick together, learn from each other, and continue to build upon their successes at the company.

2. Leadership: Senior Management are deeply invested in every aspect of the business, and they genuinely care about their employees (I have heard many stories and have had personal experiences where they have jumped in to help employees in non-work-related situations). They invest a great deal in resources to develop their employees and provide the type of environment they feel is necessary to help their people grow professionally. They are intimately involved in all projects in software development, which provides new employees with a great opportunity to learn from these leaders who have great experience and success under their belts.

A common misconception is that those who are in advanced/leadership positions have never worked at other companies, but this is untrue. In fact, most (if not all) of those in advanced positions came from other companies.

Every manager is different, which is true no matter where you go. My personal experience with management has been phenomenal and has directly contributed to my own professional growth. Most managers are in their positions because they were successful at the jobs/positions they now manage. When one becomes a manager, they don't simply become a manager and relinquish all other duties. Their responsibilities increase. So, yes, managers are busy. And if you need something from one of them, you cannot sit around waiting for them to find you. You need to take initiative, but that is what I love about the environment because you learn to conquer your fears and become assertive.

3. Culture: As most would probably agree, the culture at Labatt could be described in a single word as "conservative." However, this description is short-sighted and inaccurate as it does not consider the constant push by leaders of the company to improve every aspect of the business, whether it be order selection methods, the structure of a department, or the personal and professional growth of their people. Improvement requires change, not conservation, and Labatt is all about improvement.

Some of the core business strategies, which have directly contributed to Labatt's differentiation among competitors and its success, are "conservative" in the sense that there is no point in changing those core strategies when they have continued to deliver time and time again.

However, those who describe Labatt as "conservative" are rarely considering its business strategies. The "conservative" description is usually applied to convey the company rules, like the dress code and dating policies, which are not solely reflective of the culture. Yes, the recommended dress code is professional. That seems understandable especially if you want to BE professional. Yes, there are policies against fraternizing (i.e., inter-office dating). Again, I completely agree with that as I would personally be incapable of focusing on the job knowing that the person I am dating is just down the hall. Or if something were to go sour with the relationship, how would that work at the office?

4. Pay/benefits: I don't volunteer salary information in social settings, but many of my friends do. Without offering too much, let me just say that Labatt takes very good care of their employees. To give a specific example, in my first year at Labatt (I had just graduated college and I came from a low-income family), I found out that I needed to have multiple, expensive surgeries. I was completely independent at this time (i.e., living alone and solely responsible for all bills) and was able to single-handedly pay in full for these surgeries thanks to my pay and health benefits.

5. Coworkers: There is a good mix of veteran, well-experienced employees and new employees, often who have recently graduated college. The newcomers have a great opportunity to learn crucial lessons about best business practices and strategies from the veterans, and the veterans can learn innovative, fresh ideas from the newer employees. Your coworkers are the people you spend the most time with each day, so it is important that you enjoy each other's company, respect each other's work, and share common goals/interests (especially professional goals). Some of my coworkers are now my best friends.

SUMMARY: Labatt is not for everyone. This much is obvious, but no company is for everyone. I, luckily, have found it to have everything I want and plan to have a long career with the company. I urge any applicants to come and see for yourself whether Labatt is for you rather than depend solely on reviews from people you have never met, who may be very different from you.

Cons

1. If I had to choose something I dislike about my job, it would be the location of the office. The warehouse/office is located in an industrial part of town, as should be expected so there is not much that can or should be done about it.
    2. Labatt recruits candidates who have recently graduated college. While I agree with this strategy, it can be difficult to overcome some of the cultural misconceptions and ideals that these recent graduates believe should be present in order to build/sustain a successful company.

Advice to Management

I will not pretend that I have anything of value to offer a management team who has grown the company's sales by over a factor of 10 in the last 30 years. You obviously know how to run a successful company.

"Decent resume builder, but start planning your exit on day one."

Former Employee - Analyst in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Analyst in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Labatt Food Service full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Pay is in line with the market.
    - Company will hire straight out of college, so it’s a good job to get some experience on the resume.
    - Pleasant co-workers.

Cons

Most of these have already been covered, so I won’t rehash them here. The benefits are terrible, the culture is ridiculously outdated, and you will almost without question be managed by someone who was never, ever meant (or trained) to be a manager.

Advancement is a very uncertain thing at Labatt. The most common method is to either a.) Be born with the correct last name, or b.) Unrelentingly suck up to someone who was. This speaks to the true core of the culture, the thing that Labatt values the most: blind, unquestioning loyalty. They will tell you what the preferred shirt color is (white). They will tell you if they think your hair is too long (it probably is). They will tell you who your friends should be. I recall sitting through a lengthy meeting in which a junior executive (a member of category A above) tried, in his halting, stuttering manner, to explain to our department that our relationships with our co-workers are shallow and meaningless, while our relationship to The Company is sustaining, deep, and meaningful.

Because you see, Labatt isn’t just a regional food distributor to the true believers in the company. It’s a way of life. There’s a weird cult of personality built around the CEO and the GM, as if their “business acumen” is irreplaceable and unique. As far as the true believers are concerned, working for Warren Buffett would be a decided step down.

That being said, I can’t feel too upset about my time at Labatt. I made some lasting friendships, learned some useful skills, and gained valuable experience. So if you’re right out of college and looking for a job with decent pay that will allow you do these things, by all means, go for it. Just keep your head down, don’t question the frequently irrational statements you will hear managers make, and keep your resume up to date at all times. Do not speak up about problems you have to ANYONE, ever. You don’t know who will go to a manager and try to prove their loyalty by turning you in. Sounds paranoid, right? Unfortunately, that is truly the lay of the land.

As mentioned in the “Pros” section above, you will have some great co-workers. Unfortunately most of them will be long gone by the time you hit the 2 year mark, because at the end of the day, there are hundreds of better companies to work for, and Labatt does not care about retaining anyone. If you are the type of person who just wants a place to punch the clock, do the bare minimum, and collect your paycheck, then Labatt is a great place where you can stay under the radar for years. Other employees stay because this is the only corporate job they’ve ever had, and they don’t understand how much better they could have it elsewhere. Getting these naive college grads is a core part of Labatt’s recruiting strategy, as is firing anyone who begins to question the rapid turnover or poor decision-making.

Advice to Management

There is literally no point in putting anything here. One of the previous reviews on this site mentioned, in part, “Most managers would read these types of reviews and spend more time thinking who is writing them versus taking a step back and accepting the criticism”. Not long afterward, they did in fact fire an employee for writing the review. They got the wrong guy, of course, but I imagine it made them feel much better. I’ve heard ex-employees relate how they were told, after their exit interview, that they “weren’t mature enough to understand why they were leaving”. They may think they’re leaving for better benefits, pay, and work environment elsewhere, but Labatt knows better. It is, after all, the best company in the whole wide world. Isn’t it?