Labatt Food Service - Memoirs of a Labatt Programmer | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Labatt Food Service

"Memoirs of a Labatt Programmer"

Current Employee - Software Developer in San Antonio, TX
Current Employee - Software Developer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Labatt Food Service full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I believe everyone's entitled to their opinion, so here's mine. And please don't be alarmed or angered, but it's a positive review.

I've been with Labatt for almost six years now as a software developer. I've seen many changes and growth in this department over the years that have left me very optimistic about the future of this company. In this time we've matured greatly not just in our software development process, but also in our structure. I think we have a great mentor/mentee process for new hires. And in fact, I just recently had the pleasure of working with a new hire on developing a completely new system from the ground up, and I feel it was a very rewarding experience for both of us. Management greatly encourages employees to be creative, to push the boundaries, to seek out and make use of the latest and greatest technology. And obviously will put their money where their mouth is and pay for books, training, hardware/software, etc. And I've never had any issue whatsoever, from day one, with going into my manager's office and talking openly about anything that was on my mind. And you know what, I've always felt that they sincerely care about me and want to help me.

We're still learning, we're still growing, we're not the IT department we know we can be yet. But if you want to be in a place where you're not just producing cogs, where you can see a system through from start to finish that will have a direct impact on the bottom line, where people will listen to your ideas, where hard work and dedication are truly rewarded (and quite handsomely I might add), then give Labatt a try.

This has been my experience, and I'm happy to share it. If Labatt didn't work out for some people, I would just say "to each his own". But there are a lot of smart people here who are working hard to put Labatt on the IT map.

Cons

I think a lot of the negative reviews are coming from people who have had a negative experience in the analyst role. And I will agree that there has to be some more effort put into creating a little more structure and development for that position. In fairness though, we do have some seasoned analysts who seem quite happy.

Advice to Management

Golly you guys are doing a swell job! <--- have at it comment section trolls! :)

Other Employee Reviews for Labatt Food Service

"Acceptable first job"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Labatt Food Service full-time

Pros

1. Great coworkers. Labatt HR is very good at identifying high achievers and good people that you'll enjoy working with.
    2. Good pay. As a general rule, BAs at Labatt get above average for their major/college (most new hires are recent graduates), but less than other BAs with equivalent experience. On the whole, this is a win for the employee.
    3. Stability. As long as you don't rub the wrong person the wrong way, your job is very safe.
    4. Great experience. With just the slightest bit of effort, you'll get great experience and learn a lot of different skills. Labatt is a great resume builder due to the variety and complexity of the projects you'll be working on.

Cons

The first three points are interrelated.
    1. The culture lacks perspective. Labatt is largely populated by people who have never worked anywhere else, and that includes most managers. While some innovative spirit has been retained, there is a lack of vision and awareness due to the narrow range of career experiences.
    2. Nepotism and politics. Having the correct last name or making the right friends are the primary determinants of career success. There is little recognition of merit, whether in the form of promotions, monetary incentives, or praise. Firing is based on some criterion other than a pattern of failing to perform in a satisfactory manner.
    3. Poor managers. Managers are at best detached and lacking in managerial skills. At worst, they browbeat employees in public without justification, hamper projects with their sporadic, distracting involvement, and fire people without cause.

4. Lack of career advancement. While the IT department was once a place where you could expect advancement, that is no longer the case. There is a chronic paucity of project leadership because there is no effort to groom and promote people into leadership roles. This creates a vicious circle. People don't feel like they are going anywhere at Labatt so the ambitious ones tend to leave after 1-2 years, which means there aren't many people with more than 2 years of experience to promote.
    5. Employees feel lost due to the lack of interaction with managers. They know that no one will notice if they essentially stop doing anything, and it is very hard to stay focused in that environment.
    6. Benefits are substandard. This is particularly true in the IT department (where all the BAs and programmers are), because they are competing for talent against software companies rather than low-margin distributors.

Advice to Management

No one of the following points is enough, but all four together would be a great start toward an organization that more people will want to be part of for the long term.
    1. Supplement your staff with managers with strong experience at other companies. Learn from them how to interact with employees, promote a healthy culture, and develop a pipeline of future leaders.
    2. Institute a program to help employees identify and achieve career goals. Much of the turnover at Labatt is not due to pay and benefits, but the lack of career development.
    3. Greater managerial involvement. Instead of speaking to employees once a year, do it monthly or even weekly. If there isn't enough time to talk to employees once a month, then managers are being asked to do too much.
    4. Recognize merit. Standard raises, no bonuses, no recognition, and rewarding people for making friends rather than making money mean that there is little incentive to do more than the bare minimum. When someone shows initiative, help them succeed.

"Just over one year of employment with Labatt I am very satisfied and am looking forward to many more years."

Current Employee - Analyst in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Analyst in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Labatt Food Service full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really like the diverse opportunities and challenges given to me right from the start as an analyst. Coming in you have an immediate opportunity to work on significant projects that impact the company's bottom line as well as interact with top management. I have worked at other places and the level of impact a new employee can make is very unique here.

In addition, team members not only work together in small groups, but share a lot of after activities.

Cons

You need to be a self starter from the very beginning. You will get guidance and help, but don't expect any hand holding. It is a diverse place and there is a lot to learn very early.

Advice to Management

Perhaps, empathize more with the new hire employees straight out of college. For some this is their first place of employment. and this can be a difficult adjustment.