Labatt Food Service - All the benefits of a firmly-established company, with the mindset of a start-up | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Labatt Food Service

"All the benefits of a firmly-established company, with the mindset of a start-up"

Current Employee - Computer Programmer in San Antonio, TX
Current Employee - Computer Programmer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Labatt Food Service full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The company has embraced technology at all levels and makes a very concentrated effort to seek out the latest technologies and practices. There is a very real culture of professionalism and constant learning, and the company invests heavily in helping developers evolve and hone their craft (internal/external training, r&d projects, books, etc). Hard work is definitely noticed, recognized and rewarded. Great work-life balance, I've never had to worry about having to leave early or making an appointment, and management is really understanding when it comes to tending to family matters.

Cons

Paid holidays and vacation days are on the low side of the IT industry standard, but on-par with food distribution industry. The IT department is relatively small so there is no clear path to a traditional management position, which may or may not be an issue since, again, you are definitely compensated for the work you put in.

Advice to Management

I feel sometimes that developers don't get enough face time with senior management. Most communication with senior management happens via project leads or business leads, which I understand is for reasons of efficiency. However, I think there needs to be a better process for empowering up-and-coming developers to play a more active leadership role.

Other Employee Reviews for Labatt Food Service

"Stable Company with Great People"

I have been working at Labatt Food Service full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Coworkers - I work with fantastic people! Some of my colleagues are also now some of my closest friends.

Pay - I don't know what anyone else gets paid (nor is it any of my business), but I get paid very well, especially compared to the average San Antonio income.

Benefits - Insurance coverage is better than most.

Size - Small enough that you know most people in the company, and they know you. You feel like someone, not just a number, especially when the General Manager or President passes you in the hall and greets you by name.

Security/Stability - This company isn't going anywhere. So there is a strong sense of job security.

Constant Challenge - You might think that Food Service sounds pretty simple or maybe even dull. You'd be wrong! Food Service has a sprinkling of so many different business and technical aspects (e.g., sales, purchasing, marketing, IT, operations, etc.), and making sure that all those moving parts are coordinated effectively and working efficiently is quite a challenge. You’re challenged to the extent you prove that you can be. In other words, if your work and attitude indicate you've reached your potential, then don’t expect to be given more responsibilities and new challenges.

Quality work is rewarded.

When applying for college and trying to understand the true difference between a very selective school and a more “accessible” school, I was reminded that a school is what the students make it. If you get a bunch of high-achieving scholars together in a classroom, you’re experience during a year of Philosophy will be quite different than if you were in a room full of average students. The same is true for a company. A company is what its leaders and employees make it. Labatt strives to hire top candidates in every area of the business. And for the most part, it succeeds.

Cons

There is not as much vacation time as is offered at other companies. It's rarely an issue for me, though, as my husband is in a similar situation. And frankly sometimes time away is stressful. Labatt isn't full of entire departments of people doing the exact same job. So if you're out, your work piles up (there's that job security again).

Hard work does not always equal reward. This is a follow up to one of the Pros. Someone can put in lots of hours and work very hard, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are doing a good job. So simply "putting in the time" doesn't mean you'll be promoted or given a raise. You have to work smart. "Work smarter, not harder."

Brutal Honesty – If you need improvement somewhere, you’ll be told so usually without any sugar-coating. It can be a difficult pill to swallow for anyone who is sensitive or is not very self-aware. It’s kind of a tough love situation. Some people thrive from it, some people don’t. I've always done well under leadership like that, though. It gives me the motivation to prove them wrong. Besides if a manager or executive is taking time out of his/her day to go over areas you can improve, you can usually take it as a compliment. It means they think you are capable of more.

It’s not necessarily specific to Labatt as it’s true of any company, but your experience can be largely influenced by your manager or direct report. I am lucky enough to have a manager who is confident enough in my abilities to let me work pretty independently, who recognizes when I need more of a challenge, who doesn't micro-manage, and who is fair and consistent. But there are others who range from micro-managing their employees to practically not managing them at all. It can make for a frustrating work life for those managers' employees as well as employees who witness that style (e.g., seeing one employee get away with having an awful attitude because the manager doesn't manage them while another employee may get a dirty look for leaving a little early). In my opinion, though, you are in charge of your own fate and life at the company. If you have great work ethic and do outstanding work, then it doesn't matter who your manager is. You will be noticed.

Advice to Management

You have done a great job leading the company to where it is. But as times and culture continue to change, consider what/who should be in place to ensure the company continues to thrive.

"Labatt is a company that I have enjoyed working more at than any other company"

Current Employee - Senior Buyer in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Buyer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Labatt Food Service full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

1. Family atomosphere and aknowlegement for those who do a good job.
    2. Great pay and benefits.
    3. Something you do hear a lot and it is very true even in negative reviews, great Co-workers who are bright, intelligent and fun to work with.
    4. Very upstart work environment, when you have your position, you are the one who decides how best to accomplish your work. Very little micromanagement in the Labatt structure. That is great for a person who is very self motivated.
    5. Great Mentorship program that will team you will people who will be vested in your success.

I have been at Labatt for over 20 years, It was my 4th job out of college and I was 29 when I started coming from a very similar industry. I have seen the company grow 10 fold since I have been here from 133 million to over 1 billion. I work with so many wonderful co-workers both men and women who started around the same time I did and very many talented young people who have been here anywhere from 1 to 5 years plus. Labatt is no more political than any other companies that I worked for in the past. I would say they are less in a fair comparison to other companies I have worked at to include HEB and Cargill. Certainly the amount of Women in our senior management is very strong proof of that. I challenge you to find a more diversified work force in our industry than Labatt.

I personally have had a very positive experience working for Labatt. I have been part of a great company who has had stellar growth in a very competitive industry, where people care about one of the most important resources around, other people. .

Cons

1. Company is not filled with management structure. If you need a lot of guidance and supervision, may not be your kind of place to work. .
    2. Paid time off is very similar to Retail Grocery, so if you requre a lot of PTO, this may not be an industry of your liking.

Advice to Management

Expand mentorship program to all departments in the company,