Lake Shore Marketing - Yeah you work hard but the opportunity is offered at such a faster pace than any other company | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Lake Shore Marketing

"Yeah you work hard but the opportunity is offered at such a faster pace than any other company"

Current Employee - Marketing Representative and Management Trainee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Lake Shore Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The opportunity to run one's own marketing company in about a year's time and earning the money that comes with it
The opportunity to manage and coordinate multiple events in less than a year
Managers who are genuinely interested in having employees advance
Working in an environment that values teamwork and building relationships
Receiving rewards while on the path to success
Working with upper management that has over twenty years worth of experience
Constantly working with highly motivated individuals/peers who push one to do better
Paid Training and Travel

Cons

Long hours due to the fact that the training program has been condensed from 3 to 5 years down to less than a year

Other Employee Reviews for Lake Shore Marketing

"Great experience"

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant

I worked at Lake Shore Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked with Lake Shore Marketing last year for a couple months. I was in transition trying to figure out what I wanted to do with my career, and I found an opportunity with Lake Shore to develop and hone my marketing/promotions/teamwork skills. I learned a lot of things that have really helped in my current job: how to keep a positive attitude (even when I'm feeling down), managing my time and work ethic, how to read and work with different people, how to carry a, effective sales conversation with a customer, etc. If you are looking for a short term job that will give you a good kick in the pants to get started in what you really want, this is a great opportunity. You will learn a lot about yourself and how to be more successful in your life. I have my perfect job now because of some of the things I learned at Lake Short Marketing.

Cons

If you are not willing to give up your life and spend 10+ hours a day with minimum wage pay (unless you are able to make a ton of sales in the field EVERY DAY you are working) then this is not the job for you. While I learned a lot and got a lot of experience, I basically had to put my life on hold for the couple months I was there. I worked 6 (sometimes 7 or 8) days straight before having one day off, and each day I was working 10+ hours. On rare occasion I did work shorter days (6-8 hours). Those are just the hours I was paid for. You are also expected (you'll lose your job if you don't participate) to give a couple hours of your day for one-on-ones and team building activities that are outside of paid working hours once you are "promoted" to Trainer/Event Manager. You are told that your progression is completely dependent on your own work, but that's not quite true. You can't get into management until you build a team of several people that make it through several months of this kind of work schedule and all individually make it into the training position themselves. It's possible, but goodness, you have to give up a lot. You do get the "opportunity" to travel, but that usually means going to random town by yourself or one other team member (possibly even a stranger) in a different state and staying in a run down motel in the not so pretty part of town (oh, and the only thing paid for is your motel stay and some of your travel expenses). Overall, you do learn a lot and get some neat life opportunities, but unless you are willing to have this type of lifestyle, I wouldn't recommend this job for anything long term. I was always told "Not everyone can do this job" and that there were people who could do it and people who couldn't. It's not that I couldn't do the job; I wouldn't. My job was not and is not the most important thing in my life and not the measure of my success.

Advice to Management

Teaching and offering experience in self-managing and work ethic is great, but sending any human being out to stand in an aisle in a store for 8+ hours a day for 6-7 days straight and expecting a happy/productive/excited attitude the whole time is not the best way to do it. You would be able to build stronger teams and keep more people if you broke up the shifts more....like you say you are going to do during the interview process. Morning meetings are very motivating. They could be more productive though by being longer; less of a pump up session and more of a class-like setting. Since one-on-ones are required outside of work hours without pay, you could probably build these into the morning meetings more. You do a great job at teaching and motivating people. You don't do a good job at keeping people around. I know the purpose of long days and a rough schedule is to make people work hard for the sake of teaching them HOW to work hard...but there is only so much people can do. If you want to build stronger teams of people who want to stick around, start catering more to the "worker bees" and less to management, and start building company morale and not just work ethic.

"It's a cult-like experience."

Pros

It taught me a lot very quickly. And there was plenty of opportunity for me to grow in the business. As long as I was selling, I was making good money. A lot of high-energy, positive people around you shouting things like, "JUICE" at you. Juice is an acronym for Join Us In Creating Excitement. It's a good opportunity to gain sales experience.

Cons

Although it's a sales job, the trainers and management do everything to convince you that it isn't. They do this by making everyone memorize "marketing strategies" that repeat, "We're not sales people, we're promoters." You have to know this verbatim and repeat it evey day before heading into the field. The field is a Sam's Club, Kroger, or Meijer where you set up a booth and sell the product to the shoppers in the store. If you don't sell, you make minimum wage. If that happens you have to talk about what happened with your manager the next day and how to get better. What I disliked the most was being told that I'm self-managing, but then I was constantly micromanaged. I had to check in with my manager every day and break down my day every night, which meant sometimes being on the phone until 10pm. The work days are long, sometimes over 12 hours and weekends are a must. Absolutely no work-like balance.

Advice to Management

If it's a sales job, call it a sales job.

Lake Shore Marketing Response

Apr 1, 2015 – Owner

Thank you for recent feedback regarding your time at Lake Shore Marketing. Our hiring managers have reviewed your feedback and appreciate the time you spent working with our team. We understand your ... More