Lakeshore Technical College - So so... | Glassdoor

"So so..."

I have been working at Lakeshore Technical College full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

We do some great things here to prepare a workforce. We partner with the community in many ways to provide prepared and competent workers in industry. When the economy suffers, we usually are positioned well to help dislocated workers get an education so they can get a new job.

Cons

From my perspective, I hear staff mention they are fearful of management. We probably have a bit more management than we really need. From my perspective, management focuses on controlling subordinates rather than providing them with the tools they need to succeed. For an academic institution that prides itself on preparing a workforce, those in charge don't integrate the teaching and philosophy of our instructors, teaching those classes. In other words, we prepare our students by teaching them management strategies and philosophies, but those same strategies and philosophies are not practiced by our own management.

Advice to Management

Focus less on controlling subordinates and worrying about how many hours per week workers are there and focus more on what results we desire. The staff is full of professionals who know what they need to do. Provide us with support and help produce a great product, which is classroom instruction. Staff members are fearful for their jobs, because of the perceived controlling nature of management.

Other Employee Reviews for Lakeshore Technical College

1. "Slow moving at best"

Former Employee - NONE in Plymouth, WI
    Former Employee - NONE in Plymouth, WI

I worked at Lakeshore Technical College (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome people to work with

Cons

Leadership is stale and misdirecting energy

Advice to Management

Would be worthless to advise

2. "Great experience for upward mobility"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, WI

I worked at Lakeshore Technical College full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule options, including telecommutes; onsite childcare for ages 2-6 years; small college campus with excellent location that includes natural areas, creek, renewable energy demos, and free parking; and major investments in employee professional development.

Cons

Bedroom community with few other opportunities for spouses and children. Nearby cities have slightly more to offer, including a timely and sometimes expensive commute.

Advice to Management

Provide more clear pathways for advancement to all employees.