Lam Research - Great Learning Experience with Excellent Management | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Lam Research

"Great Learning Experience with Excellent Management"

Former Employee - Intern in Fremont, CA
Former Employee - Intern in Fremont, CA

Pros

management was very open and willing to help. everybody was kind and open. people generally cared about each others growth within the company. Not cutthroat like other companies (AM)

Cons

long hours at times but thats the business

Advice to Management

doing great

Other Employee Reviews for Lam Research

1. "Very Happy expericence"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

Pros

Close to my house and a good atmosphere to work in

Cons

the semiconductor industry is very volitile

"Outside of the factory - Pretty good. Inside of the factory in trying to make a respectable difference - not good."

Former Employee - Product Engineer in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Product Engineer in Fremont, CA

Pros

Almost a decade of my life - very proud of what I was doing and how Lam treated me - except for the last 8-10 months - when it became purely a confused state of affairs.

Pay is way above average - not that it makes a difference when you work 60+ hours a week, but for the most part - 75% of the time I was with Lam - compensation was excellent, advancement was good - and my management, overall, was very supportive.

Cons

In the middle world of Lam - There is a general lack of communication - too much tribal knowledge, and several instances of cronyism. It's 50-50 - many technically sound personnel, but there is alot of fluff internally, in some cases sheer confusion by middle management (who don't truly understand the product or what the customer seeks), or lack of foresight (continuously repeating tests that have no conclusive data, which wastes time and money) and apparently some who think they are almost deities.

In my last position - Management - didn't know (obviously did not understand) what I was doing and wasn't the least bit concerned that I was working 60+ hours per week trying to 'keep up' with the workload - having to carry the load for others who found it better to prove themselves as an asset by keeping close proximity to management's backside. Don't try to think outside the box and have it appreciated - and never tell anyone the truth, although that is one of the key principles that Lam impresses upon you to express, with respect, but it does have it's consequences (in this instance and with this particular manager, highly counter-productive to your continued employment).

Clear communication and goal guidance (big picture) can be severely lacking.

Also - for the field - SAP completely inhibits productivity. Nice place to make and keep records, but it is time consuming and inhibits supporting the overall productivity of the products sold by Lam.

Advice to Management

If you truly want to understand how to manage - we are people, not bots - and many of us have experience outside of Lam, and when we offer our 'advice' (sage knowledge), we believe that we feel there may actually be a better way to make progress and money. Try to listen and not just demand.

Upper management - officers - appear to be set up and above the citizenry - and having met one or two during my tenure - are very focused on business as a profit making entity, and that Lam is not a playground for people to abuse. I feel Lam upper management is on target to continue making Lam a very successful and competitive leader in the industry - although I would look into making key changes in managing how costs overrun for spare parts that are sent to the field, not used, not returned - accountability and controls. When a site can lose $0.25M in spares in a QRTR and no one seems to mind - that is cause for alarm, since that lost money is lost profit. Multiply that by roughly 20 (multiple sites in 4 QRTR's) - $20M up in smoke...