Landor - Amazing talent all around, bad management | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Landor

"Amazing talent all around, bad management"

Former Employee - Client Associate in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Client Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Landor full-time

Pros

The people make the place. The brand attracts brilliant talent and produce award winning work. Great client opportunities. You get to work on the biggest brands.

Cons

Does not nurture talent. People don't get promoted. No mobility up or sideways.

Advice to Management

HR doesn't really do much for the employees. Need to keep your talent happy or they will eventually jump ship.

Other Employee Reviews for Landor

"I worked at Landor."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Landor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Landor looks good on your resume. Initially I worked on a variety of projects, which kept the work interesting, but then it went downhill. I liked many of the people I got to know there. Some people really want to do great work.

Cons

Owned by WPP which mostly calls the shots on money flow. Feels like WPP is using Landor's good name but doesn't care if it runs the company into the ground. Sufficient resources are often not available. Very weak in the digital realm.

There was no sense of order or priorities. No job training. Totally sink or swim. Seemed like there was always a fire to put out.

Budgets were made artificially low to win accounts. Accordingly many projects went over budget. Needed resources were often out of budget and people without expertise in a certain areas were often tapped to fill in.

Little or no raises. Hard work is not rewarded and seemingly unnoticed. Emphasis is on getting the job out the door.

Tendency to get most new hires from interns. The best few are offered full time jobs. Many of these stay for 3 years or less and then move on to something that pays better and/or offers more interesting work. Failure to reward talent.

Advice to Management

Get a grip. Actually be involved with the work rather than just talking about it.

"Strategy Company With Few Strategists"

Current Employee - Designer
    Current Employee - Designer

I have been working at Landor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The lack of true leadership allows you to take on just about anything though the con to that is the lack of leadership to guide you in whatever you take on.
    Opportunity to travel. Have traveled to some great cities I probably would not have on my own dime.
    Flexibility of schedule.
    Office provides a lot of meals for employees.
    Decent benefits.

Cons

The lack of true strategists has caused the burden of that skill set to be added to the plate of us designers. A client service person doesn't just transform into a strategist, they first have to have the knack for it and then someone has to teach them and finding a teacher is tough. If the designers also are tasked with developing the strategy then the work will suffer because of overtasking designers. The office plays favorites and what you work on is rarely determined by skill set because there are some talented people not getting opportunities. A company whose reputation was once around strategy is regularly losing work to companies that would not have had a prayer of winning against Landor in the past. From what I've heard about the days of Walter Landor, this company is 180 degrees from there at this time.

Advice to Management

Its one thing to associate yourself with Walter Landor and another to actually live up to him. I suspect that if Walter Landor was alive today the group of offices wouldn't have the feel of despising each other and that falls solely onto what the leadership has or has not developed. From my exposure the leadership is dreadfully lacking personalities, people who are truly inspiring and know how to lead the charge.