LanguageLine Solutions - At the begining it was good, then it became hell on heart sometime literally. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for LanguageLine Solutions

"At the begining it was good, then it became hell on heart sometime literally."

Former Employee - All Call Interpreter in Santo Domingo (Dominican Republic)
Former Employee - All Call Interpreter in Santo Domingo (Dominican Republic)

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Other than the salary for Domincan Republic Standards, there are no pros and taking into consideration the fact that the charge the clients by the minute and pay you by the hour, the pay for the job you are doing is abysmal.
I will say they do have an excellent health insurance program at least when I was there, much better than what US work at home interpreters get and that is only because it is law.

Cons

I started working in LLS call center in DR in 2005 right out of college and at the beginning it was a great place to work, pay was good and the workload and enviorment was very good. I got training for 2 weeks before starting to work and I had to take a pass a test before I could take actual calls, the quality of the interpreters was very good, I actually went from CSI (customer service Interpreter) to CSI + to ALLCALL interpreter in less than six month. Then the hiring ethics change, it became all about quantity instead of quality and as many others had said the call volume is ridiculous, current calls get knock by incoming calls, you don't have enough time to take a breather or even get a glass of water in. It is very demanding very mentally exhausting job. The few Supervisors or Inchargers as they are call. that actually care about the Interpreters are fired.

You get no sick pay leave, no sick days, it is easier to win the lottery than to get an schedule change and unless so other willing coworker would swap days with you or would swap schedules with you are were royally screwed. The working conditions were subpar, call center hygiene was abysmal, and god forbid the AC should fail which happen often because you were suppose to work no matter what or get the risk fired. Sweatshop is exctaly what the company was, you had to work in Factory building with no AC, no windows, and no ventilation. One of my co workers actually had a heat stroke and the time she was granted by the doctor to be off was count as an occurence and she was fired a few months later.

Getting your well earn vacation days was subject to approval and you could never take time off for holidays, Gid forbid you were sick because unless you had vacation days to used for when you were sick, you could probably kiss you job goodbye if you miss more than a couple of days. Any time you were late, or miss a work day that counts as an occurrence more than six in a year and bye bye job, it doesn't matter it you send a medical certificate or not it still counts as you not being on the line.

Senior management has absolutely no idea what the job entails or what it feels like to be on the receiving end of the line. Clients were often rude, and had no idea what our job really entails, more often than not you could hear interpreters asking the clients to please slow down, or to limit the amount of information to interpret, and those are the clients that more often that not report you. LLS always side with the client and shows complete disregard of what they call VOI or Voice of the interpreter which were our complains as problems found with clients, service, lines and equipments.

There are many, many more issues but frankly it would take a book to go through all of them.

Advice to Management

Treat your interpreter as humans, go back to quality interpretation instead of quantity, provide better training for intepreters, and provide seminar to instruct your clients into what our job actually entails. Have a very compensation program for interpreter and provide bonus and incentives for those who people that show skill, dedication and quality in their work. Have better quality control checks and only have people train in medical calls to take those calls, remember must of these calls relay on the interpret skill to save a life. Don't punish an interpreter for recusing himself of a call that he or she is not qualify or or been train to take, it made save someones life. Provide training to your management team and other senior staff members to understand the kind of stress interpreting is and to be understanding of their needs, remember we are the driving froce behind your company treat us better.

Other Employee Reviews for LanguageLine Solutions

"no raise. dead end job"

Current Employee - Interpreter

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

you do not have to care about physical appearance or weather conditions to go to work

Cons

very little pay, no salary raise, terrible benefits, no hope of getting promoted whatsoever, mentally exhausting and demanding

Advice to Management

try to appreciate and give your employees what they really deserve, it is really ridiculous not to offer any raise in wages for at least last five years. price of living does not stay the same, how come you ecpect your employees to survive with the same amount of money they've been making for long time. be fair please!

"Not a care about employees"

Current Employee - Interpreter

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work at home. That is about it.

Cons

Professionals are not reimbursed for the work they do in a fair manner.
    No benefits to speak of. Not even vacation is paid. The so call health insurance is a joke. No one can afford to put money in the only benefit worth participating in which is the 401K .

Advice to Management

If you want to stop the hemorrhage of qualified interpreters do the right thing. Stop wasting your money only in high level compensation. Fortunately more companies are stepping up to the plate and hiring qualified interpreters. Its only a matter of time.