Laser Quest - A formative learning experience for which I was desperately underpaid. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Laser Quest

"A formative learning experience for which I was desperately underpaid."

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Mountain View, CA
Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Laser Quest part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Exceptionally well-executed focus on training, with proprietary modules and access to a lending library of team and personal improvement learning material.
Strong corporate preference for promoting from within, fairly large lower-management turnover rate means pretty good chance for advancement.
Profit sharing for every single employee (beginning after 3 month probation for new hires)
Understanding of and flexible around student schedules (as much as possible).
High energy playful atmosphere, familial feeling between staff and management.

Cons

Even in the highest grossing Centre in the company, with regular customers such as Google and Steve Young, and solidly double the workflow demands of any other location in the company, the starting pay is insultingly low, with miniscule annual raises and, generally, no merit based raises (obviously no repercussions for asking, but I was told "We don't give merit-based pay increases."). I worked incredibly hard there, and was paid less than an entry level call-center employee would expect to receive on day one.

Bottom line: great job for high school students...no desk to get stuck behind and competetive pay for that age range.

Advice to Management

You have to end your marriage to your nice, cozy, comfy procedural ops. It should be telling to you that every time a member of upper management came to visit, each and every one of them would leave talking about how they hadn't believed without seeing it, but that running day-to-day ops by the book really was impossible when business was as high as ours was...and you must understand, not all of those changes were a result of necessity AFTER business levels grew...some of them were changes that were made THAT CONTRIBUTED to the growth of revenue.

Also, your practice of maintaining hourly assistant managers as de facto full time employees without awarding insurance benefits is borderline at best. I was "hourly" and "part time," but it was made clear that my requests for time off or use of my right to call in sick were near-unacceptable...which is fine, and necessary due to the nature of the business, but is unacceptable at $13/hr and no benefits.

Other Employee Reviews for Laser Quest

1. "Best job i could've had in High School"

Former Employee - Crew Member in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Crew Member in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Laser Quest part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work environment
    Super Fun
    Hours are perfect for students

Cons

Overnighters could sometimes be overwhelming

"General Manager"

I have been working at Laser Quest full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

a fun place to work

Cons

can't run it as is needed