Laureate Education - Seemed like a great international company, but no such benefits | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Laureate Education

"Seemed like a great international company, but no such benefits"

I have been working at Laureate Education full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stable job if you work as a part of the team that's necessary for overall function of the company (such as SST or Academic Advising). As part of these teams, you also get to go to the residencies, so once a year at least you do get to go to another location and actually interact with students and other employees from different locations.

Cons

No career advancement. If you work hard, you might advance only if you know the right people and those people actually want to advance you. Otherwise, you will never advance, unless you try to make an opportunity for yourself or pretty much what happens is, people find jobs elsewhere. The company stopped giving out yearly bonuses and yearly raises have become so minimal that management says that we should be happy we got a raise at all because the budget has been tight. However, we hear of Laureate acquiring all these other universities around the world, but it seems like they have no time to show appreciation to their hard working employees. Being salary employee, you would think you get the benefits of leaving early or taking an extend lunch, but instead we are actually being watched all the time and feel like we are chained to our desks. If we want to try to work out getting off early, we need to make up those hours on another day. So much for being a salary employee.

Advice to Management

Value your employees more rather than overworking them for no compensation to match that hard work. You are letting the great talent leave your company because you are looking at the overall picture rather than little people that make that overall picture happen.

Other Employee Reviews for Laureate Education

"Be careful"

I worked at Laureate Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My first stint in PE and Education, so I'm glad I did it. I met some very good people and learned a great deal about a new industry.

Cons

A bit ethically challenged at the very top. If you decide to sign on, make sure you have a good employment lawyer review your contract, including the non-compete. Get your cash up front.

"Enrollment Advisor desperately seeking an out!"

Pros

Easy mindless job, same thing every day all day, OK Salary, Benefits, off most holidays, 2 floating holidays. If you are someone who is in their 50's or 60's and you have already experienced the world and had an established career and developed skills in other areas BEFORE working here, than this will be a great job for you! Even straight out of college, it’s an OK first job with nice pay, but start working on your resume ASAP, as growth and development is nonexistent. If you do have a great manager, you can have some opportunities here and there to do different projects, or different assignments on your team like scheduling employees for weekends? Hey at least it’s something and you can sell it on your resume and highlight it. It’s all in the verbiage and lingo that you use. 70% discount on degree programs, but it really should be 100% for all the hard work that we do.

Cons

No growth and professional development opportunities, disorganized management from the managers all the way up to the senior leadership. It’s a shame it seems like the CEO Paula Singer knows what she needs to do and wants, but unfortunately her vision is not being carried down to the company! Have to work weekends, mandatory overtime?! Have to work until 8pm. Company is ran very poorly and there is a high turnover rate. No promotion from within, yet we get emails everyday about how a NEW OUTSIDE person is hired in higher up positions. Use to be able to get raises, 10% every six months, now we are lucky to get 1%. Lied to us and said Congress stated that we are no longer able to get raises for enrolling students. Even though we are in a sales position, and have goals. Phoenix and Strayer employees get bonuses still. Do you know why, because the congress hearing was about financial aid and using that for enrollments. Mgmt is not consistent one enrollment team is allowed to do one thing, while another is not, even inconsistencies on the same team within. You are held to strict standards and while the other person is not. You ask to transfer to a different location as they have many, however you are told there are no positions. Then you find out next week, there is someone else who was able to transfer??? hmmm...Managers are stupid they think teammates do not speak with each other, so we do learn about these inequalities. When you speak to HR about different issues, they don't care and could care less. HR is horrible to those to apply within, no follow up, no recognition application is received, nothing! Communication is horrible in this company! Schedules use to be flexible, (it should be its a calling center) but now it has become a lot more stricter, no work life balance, no work from home options even though we are on the phone? Unfair business practices. For example those in the Baltimore location have access to Professional Development and even managers in general at other locations, nothing for the enrollment department, oh wait you can take a class on outlook. Don’t bother bringing forth anything because it falls on death ears.

Advice to Management

Turnover costs company's lots of money. Laureate does not understand this? Maybe find out why employees are leaving and try to develop and grow your employees. Even managers say that there are no growth opportunities in this organization… that is sad. You sell the "opportunity" dream during the interview and training, yet the only people moving up or those that are those that are higher up to begin with. You tried to get an IPO recently and failed! There is a reason for this! Remember happy employees equals a successful company. If you want to continue to grow and be competitive, then look into making your employees happy. Otherwise, your IPO will be nonexistent, and you will continue to spend thousands on training new people, and losing thousands on people leaving just as quickly when they realize what a dead end job this really is! If you are going to give surveys and town hall meetings, how about you actually listen and implement what is being said! What a waste. Everyone I know is looking for another place to work!