Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory - Great place to intern | Glassdoor

"Great place to intern"

Pros

Provides a variety of learning opportunities, good pay, focus on mentorship

Cons

Somewhat bureaucratic, offices are dated

Other Employee Reviews for Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

"More like industry than academia"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary for postdocs is much higher (double) than academic postdoc salaries.

Work-life balance-- with a few exceptions, most people work regular hours and don't work on weekends and evenings (unless they want to).

There are several internal recognition programs, and people seem to be given recognition for contributions. Most folks here seem genuinely happy to see others at the lab succeed and win awards.

There is a large internal funding program, where postdocs have the opportunity to be PIs. This program is supposed to be free of politics so that new ideas and investigators are given a chance, but in my experience this isn't always the case.

Cons

Since the lab was privatized, it seems to run more like a company than a university, which was a disappointment to me as I was looking for more freedom in my research. There is a billable hours system, which constrains the amount of time you can spend on different projects.

Although it's now some kind of weird government- private company hybrid, they do get a lot of federal funding, so there are no freebies (company swag, food, car washes, childcare services, gym, etc.) like you would receive at many other Bay Area employers.

There is a LOT of bureaucracy. Sometimes I feel like I spend more time figuring out the protocols and rules for how to do something than I spend actually doing science. Safety classes are burdensome and being in compliance with the many safety checks and protocols is a significant time sink. Some administrative folks seem to relish wasting the time of scientists in order to CY(their)A.

In my experience, human resources was not only not helpful, but actually confused me about the benefits available to me. I had to do my own research on the benefits that I was eligible for and figure things out for myself.

For new hires, the clearance process has become a significant burden. My security clearance application has been submitted for over a year and I haven't been contacted to begin the process for the investigation. Given that others have waited at least 6-9 months after their process begins before receiving a clearance, it seems unlikely that I would receive mine by my 2 year anniversary with LLNL. Without a clearance, you are fairly limited in what types of projects you will be able to work on.

Food options are very limited. The cafeteria serves mainly salads and burgers, with few ethnic choices available, and is priced like an airport restaurant. There are few restaurants within driving distance for a 30-45 minute lunch break (options include Taco Bell and Carls Jr.). Downtown Livermore has more options but it takes ~15 minutes each direction to drive there from the lab.

Advice to Management

See what can be done to speed up the process of granting security clearances. There are a lot of man/woman hours wasted as folks are waiting to receive their clearances and can't be as effective/useful as if they had one.

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Response

Jan 26, 2017

We have forwarded your insights to our management and thank you for your comments. We hope that you will take advantage of the perks offered through the Lawrence Livermore Employee Services... More

"Very limited career path"

Pros

Good science, friendly and helpful coworkers. The neighborhood in Livermore is nice and safe. You will also have good work life balance

Cons

If you are foreign national or non-white people, you may have very limited career growth. There are many layers of management, red tapes, and old school boy networks.

Some managers do not do any scientific work but still get their names plugged on many papers. You keep working for them while they keep getting all the recognition and promotions through their inner circles of network and keep you away from these growth opportunities through red tapes.

Advice to Management

Remove non productive and political management people and save tax payers' money.

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Response

Jan 25, 2017

Thank you for your review. We recognize there is room for improvement and we are working on that. The Laboratory is an equal opportunity employer and our ongoing success depends on every member of... More