Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory - Enjoying a career with urpose that close to home | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

"Enjoying a career with urpose that close to home"

Current Employee - Business Professional in Livermore, CA
Current Employee - Business Professional in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Worklife balance is very big part with the ability of working a flexible schedule in many of the areas. There are many opportunities to balance life during lunch breaks with an on site gym, exercise classes or networking groups. As a business professional it's amazing to be able to support R&D in the national interest and work with so many brilliant scientist and engineers. I feel like what I do truly makes a difference.

Cons

Continue to consider additional work options for telecommuting in the disciplines that make sense. The landscape of the workforce demands this.

Advice to Management

Work on branding to the bay area; I believe the lab is unfamiliar to many commuters that pass us everyday on their way to Silicon Valley.

Other Employee Reviews for Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

"Converson to "Career Indefinite" Employee Pulled at Last Minute"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA

I worked at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of bright people
    Lots of interesting science being done
    Compensation is good
    Benefits are Excellent

Cons

I was hired in 2011 as a "Limited Term" employee with a 5 year term. They were in process of upgrading me to "Career Indefinite" when my program got a budget cut. So they pulled my upgrade and told me to find work within the lab within 30 days or I'm gone. However, the original letter informing me that I was upgraded to "Career Indefinite" did not get recalled and I received it in the mail. I didn't make a huge deal of it as I didn't want to burn bridges and I did find a temporary position for ~4 months afterwards I moved on to Sandia National Laboratories, Livermore, right across the street.

Some people have been in same job for 20+ years, lack vision and energy and are resistance to change/improvements.
    Some project require coding in ...ADA and using VMS... this is laughable. I thought National Labs were cutting edge.
    In my temporary job, the project lead was inventing/adding on to C++ Classes. Not sure why except to save lines of actual code??
    Lack of direction from top
    Lack of meaningful schedules and deadlines
    People are in no hurry
    Complacent - co-workers willing worked in lab where temps >90F in summer w/o complaint

Advice to Management

Honor your agreements. I felt totally betrayed.

Clear out the deadwood, don't let anyone stay in same project too long. Some time longevity in a project is bad.

Set deadlines and schedules. First place that I've worked where there wasn't.

"Quality People Work There"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA

I worked at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart, sincere people work there. Lots going on. Love the military presence. Lots of patriots there. Very exciting research and development. Homeland Security, Chemistry, Astronomy, Environmental Science, Polymers, Lasers, you name it!

Cons

The facilities are kind of rough. This is not a walking campus, but it could be with a little love. Working in trailers is just terrible. It looks like some kind of munitions depot out in the desert.

Advice to Management

Don't let long-term employee's run roughshod over new ones. Don't save the one nice building for yourselves. Resurface the parking lots. Put in nice walking pathways with greenery. Add Food Trucks.

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Response

Jan 25, 2017

We love the military presence as well! We have made progress in the last few years in our facilities and grounds but realize that we have more work to do. Thank you for your review and we have... More