Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory - Veterans in Energy Technology & Science | Glassdoor

Employee Review

Employee Review

"Veterans in Energy Technology & Science"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time

Pros

I was an employee at LLNL from 2008-2013. I was laid off with several other co-workers. The outreach Officer from the Veterans group at LLNL reached out to me and assisted me in finding a new career at LLNL. Even though I am not a Veteran, I still feel that there is very much a family atmosphere at LLNL and I am very grateful to be apart of that family. Thanks VETS!

Cons

No cons at this time.

Advice to Management

Love my career!

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

"Mechanical Engineer"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Leading edge technologies, large scale projects, $1 billion budget, and great benefits and employee resources.

Cons

Real estate in Livermore is too expensive/risky. To own on a single income, commuting is almost a necessity.

"A Shrinking Workforce where Management has Become the End Product: No Longer a Place for Creative Minds"

Current Employee - Research Scientist in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Research Scientist in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Technical Colleagues, Location (SF Bay Area)

Cons

Shrinking Workforce, Bureaucracy, Management, Excessive Overhead Costs, Unfunded Mandates, Useless Requirements, Constant Reorganizations, Forced Strategic Planning Initiatives that Lead Nowhere, Lack of Management Accountability for Itself

Advice to Management

There is no evidence that the excessive overhead-funded management at LLNL provides positive value (e.g., where is the vast increase in WFO projects promised by LLNS when it came into being 10 years ago; why has the workforce significantly declined in numbers over the past decade). In fact, all evidence suggests that management negatively impacts programmatic work. There is no logical, business, or ethical reason why 70-75% of bring-in dollars should go to management, management-controlled activities, and other overhead costs. Why must I report to 13 people in the *multiple* management chains above me (administrative, programmatic)? Get out of the way. Let employees and the programs do the work that they are tasked to do by their sponsors. Management shouldn't be the end-product. Cut indirect-funded management personnel by at least 50%.

Discover more reviews about Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory.